Something is wrong? Cutout question.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by onehorse, Aug 8, 2009.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

I don't know, but this doesn't seem right to me. We did the cutout, found the queen, put her in the hive (she appeared to be in good health and function) and then finished the cutout. But, I have a mass of bees, about the size of a swarm hanging out outside the hive on a piece of the tree trunk. I put a queen excluder under the bottom box of the hive, so to prevent absconding and I know we got a queen, but why isn't this mass moving into the hive? After all of this work, I don't want to loss this hive. Take off the queen excluder? Just wait? I'm a bit lost. I thought they were suppose to follow the queen into the hive once we moved her there, but I haven't seen anything indicating that they know she is in there, no fanning, no hanging out on the landing board, etc.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Take something like a dust pan and brush them off and dump them into the top of the hive. Leave the excluder in place. Unless you can lift the piece and shake them into the hive. That would be better if the piece isn't too large.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Did you get brood into the new hive for the bees to cover?

The brood comb will usually hold them, not always but most times.

Sounds kind of strange that they are not fanning if you are sure you got the queen. How did you place her into the hive?

G3

4. onehorse

onehorse New Member

We took the piece of trunk and brushed the bees into the hive, a lot went into the air, but Mom's smell must be starting to spread in the hive. We added a top entrance and they started fanning and bearding on that with everyone that didn't make it on the trunk sweep trucking up the side of the hive to the top entrance. We swapped out queen excluder in case there was a lot of junk built up behind it and there was. When we found the queen, about mid-cutout, we took her and placed her in the hive and then put a queen excluder on top of that box so she couldn't get out and didn't move it until after we were done. We moved a good amount of brood over, probably 10 frames or more, lots of honey too. Now the question is, what do we do with the beard? We took out the middle queen excluder, the one we put on after we found her and there are 6 medium boxes that we put comb into, so there should be enough physical room, but I do have a box with foundation in it I could put one or one that we extracted some honey from?

Thank you for all your help!

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would remove all excluders other than the top and bottom. Then leave the hive alone for a week. At that time, remove all empty frames and reduce the hive accordingly.

Do not leave any boxes on with less than the maximum number of frames it holds.

6. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Maybe, last question, what should I do about the top entrance? I am not set up for a top entrance, but they seem a lot happier with that entrance then the bottom board? They'll figure out how to get through the excluder on the bottom, yes? If I close the top off completely? Checked the hive this am, the beard has moved into the boxes (clean shaven, this am) and they have a happy hum, there is a baseball size group of bees that, I think, got caught in the trunk, by the rain and nightfall, so we will move them over today. I am starting to think, fingers crossed and quite a bit hesitant, that we might have successfully did our first cutout.