Something new is happening in my hive.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, May 25, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Today I was walking past the bee hive and I noticed a large number of bees gathering on the ground about 4 feet away from the hive.
    I'm going to suit up now and see what is going on.
    This is near the hive that just superceded and we spotted the queen yesterday.
    I can't really tell which hive the bees are coming from it may be the hive that is exploding at the seams with bees.

I'll report back.

Attached Files:

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

looks like a swarm that landed on the ground may have a queen that was unable to fly.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I made them an 8 frame medium. My wife will pick up "real hive parts" tomorrow but is giving me a little greif over "how many hives" are we going to wind up buying? lol. Could I find the queen, send her to queen heaven, and put the bees back in the original hive? Especially if she is unable to fly?

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

you can do in the queen and recombine using the paper method after the swarm inpulse is over and they have room. right now I would set them up in a hive of there own

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Put them all in the 8 framer and let them be for a couple of days, if they do not lie that queen they will supercede her as soon as eggs are laid.

I would say a swarm from the hive busting at the seams.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Before I went on vacation I saw queen cells on the bottom of some frames in the big hive. I suppose I was in denial lol. I'll wait an hour and collect them. I was going to wait till tomorrow but I fear a skunk or other animal may eat them tonight.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

set a hive body near them with a frame of drawn comb. they will crawl right in. Then you can move them where you want them after dark

8. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'm new at this and don't have any frames of drawn comb unless I stole one out of another hive.?

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

foundation will work, if you can spray with a little sugar water even better.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It doesn't have to have anything in it. They will go into any dark hole. Just close the box up so no light goes into it from the top. Give them a bottom entrance to it and set it right up to the edge of the pile of bees. They will march right in.

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

. I remember when i didnt have any extra drawn comb. Even today i gaurd the extra like fort knox guards gold. I say drawn comb has to be at the top of the list for needs. Duo got to remember your advantage is they are homeless looking for a home and what better luck could they have than someone setting a box they find suitable right next to them on the ground.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

even the homeless man is glad to be under the bridge for shelter.

13. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Since my last visit to the swarm a second pile of bees formed about 18" from the first pile. I put a box and makeshift bottom board and made a top cover with an upsidedown top feeder and some shipping material. That'll hold them till tomorrow.

Should I feed this swarm? There is ALOT blooming here in S Jersey.

I put the box down and the pile closest to the box wasted no time. The other pile had to be coaxed. It'll bee my luck that it was 2 different swarms lol. I'll go out and check with a flashlight in a while.

There was no need to wear protective gear. The bees were very easy going.

Attached Files:

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

be careful with the flashlight around bees at night they will fly to the light. At that point there not there to say hi :D

15. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Ooh! Thanks for the tip!

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, it would be best to wait until daylight to check on them.

PS. Those two are a beautiful site. I love to see kids with no fear, only respect, when around bees.

17. riverrat

riverrat New Member

use a red light or red piece of cloth over the light then you should be able to get a quick look. I was moving hives out of the yard a couple years ago when the wife brought out a flashlight and asked if I needed light she got about 20 foot from the hive and boom they lit things up

18. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

One pile of bees went in and a few from the other pile. There is a big clump on the outside of the hive body and a big clump on the ground in the original spot. Should I scoop them up and put them in from the top of the hive or just wait it out till morning?

Why am I obscessing over these bees??? LOL

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Patience, my dear, patience. :D

Wait until morning.

20. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

This morning I opened the top of the make shift hive and saw they are already drawing comb. I gently scooped up the large clump on the hive body and shook them onto the frame tops. The smell was neat, reminded me of lemon dishwashing detergent idk. The remaining bees are making a bee-line for the entrance.

I told the wife I'd like to wind up with 5 hives total over the next few years.