Something new is happening in my hive.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, May 25, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"I told the wife I'd like to wind up with 5 hives total over the next few years."

:mrgreen: :rolling: :rotfl:

That' funny, I told my wife the same thing! (She still hasn't caught on)

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

five comes quick, you will be there before the end of the year.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I told my wife I would only wind up with 5 hives. I convienently left out the per yard and im not sure she knows how many out yards I have :D

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I started with 5 again this spring and have 12 now and already sold two.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Got the rest of the hive parts and a spare lol. Moved them to their new location. They still seem to be in a swarm mode. A bunch was clumped in the upside-down top feeder (overnite lid) and I was able to pick up the whole clump and put them in on top of the frames. That familiar lemon smell and humming sound was present when I did this.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Good job, duo-core. G3, you need to catch up a bit. I overwintered 3 and now have fifteen, sold one and gave one away.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Iddee I did not make any splits this year though, and I forgot to count the two trap outs I have going on also :mrgreen:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No splits here, either. All new bees.

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Ok. The new hive seems to be bustling with activity. Lots of bees coming and going and pollen coming in.
    I started this hive with a medium 8 frame hive body. I've since aquired some 8 frame deeps. When the time comes should I put the deep on the bottom or just set it on top. I'll be running 1 deep and 2 mediums for all my colonies.

Thanks,
    Ed

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can do either, but I like the deeps under the mediums. JMHO..

11. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Needed to add a box to the new captured swarm since they had 6 of 8 of their 8 frame mediums drawn. I believe we found the queen as well.

Attached Files:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yep, you found her. Is this the same frame as in the other pic you posted of the larva?

13. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

No. That larvae was from the hive that produced a swarm 5 days ago. Couldn't that larvae be from the old queen that left with the swarm and is now in the hive pictured above?

Here is a pic of what I think is the new queen in the hive that the larvae was in. She seems small if it is a queen. I'm a little concerned because she is slow to move and doesn't try to hide like the others. She just mosey's about and doesn't care. I could have snapped 100 pictures. Also there are no bees tending to her.

Attached Files:

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, that's her. I would guess she hasn't made her mating flights yet, so they aren't attending her. I would suggest leaving the hive closed with no further disturbance for at least a week to give her time to mate and begin laying. Now is a critical time for the hive and disturbance is not good.

15. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Will do. We're supposed to have nothing but sunshine and hot weather for the week. Next chance of rain is 9 or 10 days says the weatherman. That'll be good

There are also a few capped swarm cells in this hive.

Attached Files:

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If it is still crowded, they may swarm again. If they aren't crowded, they will remove the cells when they decide which queen they want to keep.

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

those are some good looking queen cells they made.

18. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I gave this a hive another box since their top box was drawn out. Numbers are down and there is not alot of capped brood. In fact after reviewing my pictures, those larvae shots were from the newly superceded hive next to this one. They've got a virgin queen and will need time to crank the hive back up again.

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Iddee writes:
    You can do either, but I like the deeps under the mediums.

tecumseh:
    you generally want to add anything empty (comb and most especially new frames and foundation) above. once covered with bees with a bit of brood and feed added in then you can reverse. the larger box on the bottom (which need not be removed upon every FULL inspection) would seem to make more sense to me but I often times (at certain time of the year) have them organized with the smaller box at the bottom of the stack.

20. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

We took a look at the captured swarm hive as we call it. It has been 14 days.

Attached Files: