Sometimes things don't turn out the way you thought

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Bens-Bees, Mar 1, 2011.

  1. Bens-Bees

    Bens-Bees New Member

    Messages:
    978
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    So I put my plans into overdrive to build an observation hive before April... everything was going great, unil I realized that I forgot to add an inch when I had to measure from the 1" mark. 'DOH! So, one side was ruined and I knew there was no way to simply replace that one side without replacing the rest since there's no way I would be able to get the rest of the sides to match up the same way. So instead I cut it down from 2 frames tall to just one. So it's gonna be a funny looking little observation hive, but it ought to get the job done all the same.
     
  2. PerryBee

    PerryBee New Member

    Messages:
    5,829
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I have the T shirt, believe me! How many times have I said "measure twice, cut once", and then....... :frustrated:
    I have a one frame observation hive with a built in feeder but all I use that one for is to display a nice frame of capped honey at the farmers market (keeps bees, flies and fingers off while on display)
     

  3. Bens-Bees

    Bens-Bees New Member

    Messages:
    978
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Hey that's a good idea. I was building this one just for a one-day event, but after it's retired from that I might have to remember that for the future.

    The good thing about this mistake is that it allowed me to use just one sheet of plexiglass which leaves my other piece of plexiglass free to be made into a solar wax melter... I think that'll be my next project in fact.
     
  4. Bens-Bees

    Bens-Bees New Member

    Messages:
    978
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wow did I ever suck at this build... that wasn't the only thing I screwed up, I also forgot to subtract the saw kerf from the dimensions of the lumber... so now I'm 3/32" short of bee space on each side. So I have apparantly built nothing but a honeycomb frame display case... d'oh! It does look nice though. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use it during the next fair. But as for the meantime, I'm either going to have to build a new observation hive or borrow one from another association member for the day that I need it.
     
  5. PerryBee

    PerryBee New Member

    Messages:
    5,829
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Don't feel bad Ben, I'm still working on those end bars! 8o down and only another 800 to go! :shock: :roll:
     
  6. Bens-Bees

    Bens-Bees New Member

    Messages:
    978
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    You know what? That was a stupid problem I created for myself, but the solution is so simple it makes me look that much more stupid for not realizing it sooner... a bit of foam weatherstripping around the hinged front pannel will fix my bee space issue in a jiffy... sure the bees might chew through it if I left them in for a week, but I only need it to last for a day... I can get not just the 3/32" that I'm short but I can get a full 1/4" to give them the full amount of room that I should have put in to begin with.

    Clearly I am too tired to think straight since it took me that long to figure that out... I definately should stop working on it for today and get some rest, lest I make an unfixable mistake.

    As for the end bars, they are pretty easy to make if you've got a chop-saw, table saw, and dado-blade set handy... I was able to fill a 55 gallon trash can half full with them in just one afternoon using my chop-saw. I only quit when I ran out of material to make them out of... but I have to admit that the other day I passed up on some good looking 2x10's in the cull lumber pile at home depot... I have all I can use this year and then some I think.