Son making his first flight as a helicopter crew chief mondy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Feb 10, 2012.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

One Proud Marine dad here. My oldest sons been training to be a helicopter crew chief for over a year in the Marine Corps. He is currently in jacksonville North Carolina at the New River base. He makes his first flight monday Feb 13th at 1300 hrs in the v-22 osprey as a crew chief. Now raising this young man I would feel guilty If I didnt warn the great people of North Carolina to take cover if you see an osprey coming your way. It might get interesting :Dancing: :D :thumbsup:

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Re: Son making his first flight as a helicopter crew chief m

Congrats to him, I well remimber my first flight after AIT/MOS training as a helicopter repairman. Jim

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't think I ever saw a crew chief holding the stick, so we don't have too much to worry about.

If we see the engine smoking, then that's another story. Hope he can make the right adjustment quickly. :shock: :lol: :lol:

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

well I talked to him today he is flying with a pilot that is a colonel. He had Mitch out going over his preflight check routine once more today to make sure he was ready to go monday. Well Mitch said the Colonel got a little irritated when he watched Mitch try to test the fuel through the fuel vent instead of the filler. But guess he was nervous and one of his instructors assured all was alright he was just a little nervous and overwelmed with his first shot at flying

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

not certain of the marine corp... but navy crew chief are expected to know basic aircraft operation to check and or move 'the ship'.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I remember Drivers Ed in High School. Is having a Colonel in the other seat like that? :)

Congrats RR.

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Congratulations!

When he gets a bit more into the details, he may notice a cargo sling that kind of looks like a huge net in the shape of a + sign. The company I work for makes those! (Feel free to send any suggestions for improvements... :) )

8. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Congrats! Yu must be a ver yproud father.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Congratulations to your son and you. Was wondering if they still set on their parachute for a seat. It's been a long time ago. :mrgreen: Jack

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Still the same he has been in marines for a year and half counting boot. Up to this point all has been schooling. He went through a basic flight school at pennsicola. When done with this part of training they dont get a pilots liscense but do carry a card proving they are capable of stepping in and assisting the pilot or co-pilot in case one or the other become incapacitated during a mission. If they deploy the v-22 he will become the door gunner. Right now all V-22 have been pulled out of afghanistan

Brooks Im not sure about crew chief setting on a parachute this is a newer craft so I am unfamiliar with it.

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Those were the double prop choppers that the front layed down so they could transport heavy equipment and troops,you had to have cotten in your ears and you still couldn't hear yourself think they were so noisy. Been to long ago and to many types of aircraft, i think it was a H45? I was in 142nd air maintenance ord. stationed in Forrest Park, Ga. in the 50's.Jack
    PS.I'm sure your son has alot more to learn than we did back then.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I remember when you told us about your son starting in the marines. You got a lot of good wishes on his behalf then. It looks like "our encouragement" helped along (or at least didn't do any harm).
    Now it's our turn to wish him safe flying. May he return from every flight in complete safety.
    God Bless.

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

The v-22 osprey is a tilt rotor aircraft the back opens to load and unload cargo. Its among the lightest lift capacities of all helicopters but its advantage is with the tilt rotors once off the ground it can fly 3 times as fast as a regular copter when they rotate the wings. When this is done they are able to make more trips. Will be used in support of moving humanitarian aid and troops into war zones more than anything

Attached Files:

14. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Congratulations! I saw a V-22 Osprey over my house in Norfolk, Va yesterday. I was telling the people with me how great they are in service now.