Soooo many changes.

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Charles, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

Just an FYI to the membership that I've made lots and lots of changes to the forum over the past few days. The main reason for the changes is to make our forum more search engine friendly. That being said most of the changes are "under the hood" kinds of things that you won't notice with one exception. We used to have a "home" page that had a few articles but was really being underutilized. I decided to take that part of the website down and make us strictly a forum (with personal blogs).

Hopefully I didn't break anything :) but if I did use the contact form (if you can't login) or post here if you have a problem.

Thanks!
    Charles

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Charles, It works alot better for me, before the the hand with the finger would freeze when i tried to log on a post or type a post. so far i've not had that and it works alot faster.:thumbsup: jack

3. Lburou

Lburou Member

The green font is gone in the post preview.......THANK YOU! :)

4. Charles

Charles New Member

Glad to hear it's working better :)

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

E-mail notification.

When I have posted on a thread, I do not appear to be getting notifications of later posts.

Have I done something ?

6. Charles

Charles New Member

Take a look in the menu above the forum, under "quick links" click on "subscribed threads". Look at the notification column to see how you are being notified of new posts (mine say instant so I get an email right away)

One thing I've also noticed, we have our forum hosted on a godaddy server. They have great servers but they have the worst email delivery problems I've ever seen. There's a good chance that some of your notifications are being blocked by your email provider because godaddy email servers get blocked by spamcop on a regular basis. There isn't much I can do about that until I get some time to move our forum to a better host.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Barbarian's emails are being sent back as undeliverable. Barbarian may have his security set too high and needs to allow emails from the forum in his settings.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Charles, i bragged to soon, i'm getting pointer freezes again? Jack

9. Charles

Charles New Member

Go to this page, fill in your username where it says "Fill in your username", then click "send email message" : click here

I'll get an email with your browser and operating system info and I'll see if I can duplicate the problem ;-)

10. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I'm now getting e-mail notifications (2 today). I ain't changed anything since my post so thank you Charles. :thumbsup:

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I've been thinking about it a bit----I kinda miss the "front" page. Not because I looked at it that often but because I think it served as an important introduction for newcomers to the forum. Oldtimers can afford to jump right into the threads and find their way, but IMO, newcomers will find it difficult to join the crowd and find their feet without the introductory page. It doesn't have to be updated frequently to let people know that we are a friendly group. But if a representative selection of items (similar to what was present in the past) can set the pleasant tone of this forum.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ef, we "almost" had to do it this way because of google. We saved the contents and will be doing something with it in the near future, as soon as we figure out how. It isn't gone forever, but we had to have the forum under the "home" button. We will be making more changes shortly and will have that content back in view someway or other.

13. Charles

Charles New Member

Jack, there are some issues with Internet Explorer when it comes to the wysiwyg editor for creating / replying to posts. I made a small settings change that only effects Internet explorer users. Hopefully it will fix your problem. Try replying and see if the freezing goes away.

If it still doesn't work try this:

Go to Settings -> General Settings -> Miscellaneous Options (at the bottom of the page) and change the setting for "Message Editor Interface" from Enhanced to Standard then save.

Let me know if either works...