Sothern Indiana is famous for wheather change

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by reidi_tim, May 28, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I know from living in southern Indiana most of my life, one thing you can not do is predict the wheather. We had toranandos then snow two days later. So we have made into the upper ninety's for that last couple of days and I can't remember the last time we had any rain ( I'm sure I'll have a better idea when the water bill comes and I find out how much I've been watering my lawn :frustrated: ) maybe three weeks ago. Dad got a poultry watering type thing that we filled and put rocks in the trough to try and help keep a close supply of water for the bees. I'm not sure if this was needed with the ponds on the property but if it makes dad feel better at the end of the day, hey why not ( never argue with the man that helped bring you into this world : because he can always resend his decision ):grin:. I worked the bees on Sunday and they where in one of the best moods I have seen them for awhile , to hot to be pissy idk? But there was a steady stream of bees coming and going bringing in pollen. Not sure what they are getting it from they are not working the clove at their door step and in the last two weeks we have cut and bailed the 30-40 acres of hay and the blackberries are finished blooming. Is there anything I should be doing right now for them or just let them do there thing?:think:

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Not sure what you can do short of just keeping an eye on them. Up here we get a dearth in July/August till the golderod hits and you just have to sit it out.
    We just finished dandelion and apple blossoms just finished as well (unusual for this time of year). Blueberry is hitting it's stride and blackberry will be coming on soon.

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'm in Central IL and we're in the same boat, 90's the past few days, 60's later this week, no rain in sight. Lots of knee high corn curling from the hot and dry.

I worked 2 hives today that have generally been disagreeable, not nasty but make sure to put a veil on. Today they were quite pleasant, must have been too hot to bother with stinging :)

4. bee stung

bee stung New Member

here in MN we say "" if you don't like the weather ,, just wait a min , it will change """"" give our weather man your address , may be he can send some of our rain your way

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

bee stung:

I like the weather in your state: You folks have 4 seasons just like the rest of us. Winter, Still winter, Almost Winter, and road construction.:rolling:

6. bee stung

bee stung New Member

sounds like you have lived in MN ,, cause you sure know the weather

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

tim,
    i think the weather predictors are all full of it anywhere, especially this year.....i think they just take out a 'wheel of fortune' weather wheel, spin it and predict it. :grin:

sounds like you are doing just fine, just let them do their thing, watch and wait or wait and watch?!. btw RAIN.....wish i could send the rain fairy your way.

gunsmith said:
    "I like the weather in your state: You folks have 4 seasons just like the rest of us. Winter, Still winter, Almost Winter, and road construction."

gunsmith, you got that right. at least i don't leave my snow blower parked on my roof like perry does.:lol: