Sources/ideas for honey jars and labels please?

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Bees In Miami, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Time for my first honey harvest, and request sources from you folks that have been doing this already. I am going to start selling my honey, and looking for sources or ideas for jars and labels. Thanks for any input!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Cards tied onto jars with rafia, gives it that special (every jar has been through my hands and handled by me) look. Artisan kinda thing.
    Plus, when the jar is empty they still have your card. :wink:

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I really like the way Perry's jars look. I think there's a photo on one of the threads.

Me...I use 1 pound bottles from Sailor Plastics with gloss ink jet labels from onlinelabels.com. My own design.

I also have some 2 ounce honey bears. I thought they would be "cute" and sell quickly...I guess I was the only one that thought that way. :sad: They're nice as samples and gifts.

Walt

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Dadant, Walter T. Kelleys and others offer regular and custom labels. Or, you could hire a graphic artist to draw up and print some for you. I lucked out with one of my brothers being a graphic artist. Was pretty affordable...free, ha! But, with the apiary supply companies or artist, the initial set up fee is always higher and then it's cheaper after that.

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I do the same as Walter B. Sailor plastic has good prices on jars. Printing your own design is kinda fun. My avatar shows the designs I created this year. This are not as personal as Perrybees but has done me well.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Found some pictures.

2012  Honey 001.jpg 2012  Honey 003.jpg

7. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I agree that Perry has the best looking idea. I'm gonna try that this year. Looks very appropriate for honey.

And like Walt, I found that the small jars only sell after all the quart and pints have sold. Lesson learned there as well.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I really like the look of the honey jars in Perry's picture. I really like the idea of not blocking the light passing thru the clear glass. I accomplish this by have a very simple and inexpensive round label that fits on the lid.

when I began selling a bit of honey I began asking customers to bring me their old glass (with lid). I trash a good number of these but still find enough to bottle about half of my crop. I slightly discount the honey in these recycled bottle.

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

my wifes ideas

Attached Files:

10. Minz

Minz Member

I like the Perry idea. I think down here we need a couple of more things, weight definitely being one of them. Do you do add another label or is that all you need? I got to start doing something with my honey, I cannot seem to give it away fast enough. I keep saying “next year”, now I am going to do it next year. Winters not over yet, so knock on wood.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have a section on the back of the card where I write in the weight (a must up here). I also have a "honey will granulate explanation- how to re-liquify" sticker I put on the back of the card. I run off sheets of those on label paper, 100's per sheet. I try to keep nothing that sticks on the jars themselves so they are easy to clean and re-use. I get a lot of them back. The only thing I cannot re-use are lids, Canada Food Inspection Agency says no.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i do as perry does with his labels, except i make myself more work and my labels look like tags, like a gift tag. i have designed my own and print them off on heavy card stock, and because of the gift tag type thingy at the top, i hand cut these with a paper cutter, use a paper punch to cut the hole, then paste a round colored thingy,(you know the round thingys to protect the holes in notebook paper) and tie them on with raffia or lighter hemp rope. my labels have as perry's does, a liquefying sticker on the back. name, address/email/or phone number, and weight is required in wisconsin.

i use primarily plastic, and the 4 oz., 8oz, and 1 1b muth jars, although expensive they sell very well.
    the plastic jars i use are these, with an embossed bee at the top, they are lightweight, inexpensive, show off your honey well, and i don't worry about breakage when i ship. these come in 3 sizes, 2 1/2 lb, 1 lb, and 3/4 pd:

b and b honey farm embossed bee honey jar

also, i recently saw a clear label sold by brushy mountain bee farm that can be custom printed:

pure and natural clear honey label

walt said:
    I also have some 2 ounce honey bears. I thought they would be "cute" and sell quickly...I guess I was the only one that thought that way. They're nice as samples and gifts.

i have found that folks like specialty jars when giving honey away as gifts, christmas, birthdays, weddings, showers, etc. smaller glass jars as the hexagon glass, or like perry's with a gold lid, they are very sharp looking. i use the muth jars. these are very popular, and sell well, they sell themselves.

13. Zulu

Zulu Member

Amy Hill at Amy's Labels specializes in custom Honey labels. She does great work! Very very happy with the work Amy did for me

She will email you a PDF with all the options and then decide what label and your text , many choices.

amysbeelabels@hotmail.com

Amy Hill labels.jpg Amy Hill labels2.jpg

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I always wonder about the use of the word "pure" when listing pure honey. Is there any other kind? If it was anything other than pure, could it be legally called honey? Same as "All Natural", if it isn't all natural, could it even be considered honey?
    I understand use of the words "raw", or "creamed", or "unpasteurized" when describing honey, but to me, it either is, or it isn't, honey.
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

15. Ray

Ray Member

IMHO, I sort of thought, if I ever got enough honey, I would probably: Sell it in pint canning jars and charge a deposit

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I sell a good bit of honey in pint and quart canning jars Ray. I also inform my customers if they have no need for the jar to bring it back since there is no need to add to the burden of the local land fill. Pretty much on the fly and as a whim.... sometimes I knock off 50 cents from their next order of honey. And by and large my frequent honey buyers (who almost always return their jars) I will knock off 1$ on a quart jar <it is my understanding that some states will not allow you to use old glass for selling honey so you need to check around and find out what you state requires.

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry said:
    "I always wonder about the use of the word "pure" when listing pure honey. Is there any other kind? If it was anything other than pure, could it be legally called honey? Same as "All Natural", if it isn't all natural, could it even be considered honey?
    I understand use of the words "raw", or "creamed", or "unpasteurized" when describing honey, but to me, it either is, or it isn't, honey.
    "

perry, in part it is great 'verbiage' to sell honey. to you and i and every other keep 'pure and natural honey' is a no-brainer, to the general public it isn't. to some honey is honey whether they buy it on the grocer's shelf or from you. the grocer's bottle says it's honey.
    i can't tell you how many times i have been asked if my honey is 'pasteurized' or 'processed' and i have been asked if it is 'real' honey..... blink.gif

i also have 'customers' after questioning me about my honey, (i filter) who say "uh..oh, okay i want the 'raw' honey, i don't want filtered honey". (they equate this with something other than 'pure' honey even after explaining extraction). so i just tell them i have comb honey available and if they want 'raw honey' in liquid form i will save some next year, if they don't mind bee parts, grass bits, wood slivers, wax and whatever miscellaneous bits of thingys are in the liquid that are normally filtered out.....
    :lol: