Sources of II Queens

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by tecumseh, Dec 4, 2012.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Does anyone know of any reliable and affordable sources of II queens? I use to use Glenn Apiary but now they are no more. Preferable I would like to obtain some Cordovan stock.

2. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I was going to maybe try Glenn Apiary myself this year, but saw they are retiring. Figures.

I have, and will again purchase breeders from Adam Finkelstein of VP Queen Bees located in Frederick, MD. No cordovan, but I won't really get into describing their available stock, you can just look at the website.

I believe Adam occasionally posts on this forum, so you may catch him here for questioning. I had the pleasure of riding shotgun with Adam one day earlier this year when I was in MD. He is an extremely knowledgeable guy, and has a good (treatment free) breeding program worked out.

-Dan

3. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

If you look on the breeding program page of VP Queen Bees you will see.

"VP Spartan queens are framed on the Carniolan phenotype. They build up more slowly, but produce enormous brood nests and worker populations in time for the honey flow. They slow up if the nectar/pollen availability lessens and they make a conservative Fall brood nest."

You might want to contact them and see what they can do for you.

Sad to see Glenn Apiaries going. They where high on my list for consideration for breeding stock.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I seem to recall Adam from another beekeeping forum? always effect me as a quite knowledgeable fellow. perhaps I will give him a call.

5. LongWoods

LongWoods New Member

Tecumseh,

When I originally heard that Tom Glenn was getting ready to retire I thought what a loss we all in the community would experience. Now that it has happened it has created a void that will be very difficult to fill, if even possible.

Joe Latshaw would be a contact you might want to pursue. He does II Aurea's, close but no cigar, but has many contacts that may be able to connect you with a reputable source.

Mike's Bees and Honey in Ohio offers Cordovan semen and might be another contact. I've never spoken with him, nor met him and can't vouch for his product. I have had a few folks tell me that he knows what he's doing.

I agree with contacting Adam, again possibly for further contacts.

6. camero7

camero7 Member

7. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

Tec, you may as well just Google Cordovan queen bees, it pulls up a few folks.