Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am keeping bees in south central Missouri. Due to way to many frames to go through, I decided to go to five frame hive bodies. Maybe I'll be able to keep track. The weather changes so fast around here, Precipitation, Humidity, and temperature.

I believe I have a plan to go threw the frames in a hive. I started with 2 in April 2021. At the end of May 2021 1 hive swarmed. I climbed the tree and cut the limb and stuck it in a 5 frame deep body. So now I have three.

Hope to find some other keepers around me experiencing the same conditions. Could always use others incite.

·
Super Moderator
3,570 Posts
There should be a local beekeeping club in your area. You might contact your State Agriculture Department and find out who your state bee inspector is, and what other resources are available locally. I'm in Texas, it's a little different I suspect

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There should be a local beekeeping club in your area. You might contact your State Agriculture Department and find out who your state bee inspector is, and what other resources are available locally. I'm in Texas, it's a little different I suspect
I was starting to wonder if there was any users here, nice to here from you Gypsi. This is Missouri, no state inspector's here.

Really just a hobby, although the hives go nuclear. 10 frame, 3 section hive explodes with swarm just as fast as a 5 frame 1 section will. In 2008 2 nukes naturally split to 5 10 frame 3 sections hives in to Springs. Kept growing up to 8. Steadied off from there. Way to much for just me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello
I am keeping bees in south central Missouri. Due to way to many frames to go through, I decided to go to five frame hive bodies. Maybe I'll be able to keep track. The weather changes so fast around here, Precipitation, Humidity, and temperature.
HELLO: I went (from Indiana) to a 2 Day seminar on "Natural Beekeeping" in Missouri last October and it was well worth the time and expense. Great presentations, lots of time for questions asked and answered, along with visits to actual hives. I only had one hive at the time and I've just started my second hive this year. Lost one hive due to freezing my first year and put some insulation - plus a winter blanket in this last winter - and that hive is going full force.

IF you have an over-abundance of bees you might try advertising for sale as "local bees" which is always great for beginner beekeepers and the bees too. I tried to buy local and it was a local PURCHASE, but the actual packages were from Georgia, thus demanding that the bees acclimate to the local weather conditions.

·
Super Moderator
3,570 Posts
Looks like I missed responding to this. still around @tbint ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes I am, surrounded by honey bees. Silly things just moved in old hive I had sitting around. That's 4 active laying queens now.

·
Super Moderator
3,570 Posts
I'd start doing my winter planning now then. Assess space, mites, flow, predators etc. Keeping humidity down in winter is critical, hive must have ventilation but no draft. The days are already getting shorter. I'm about to go harvest my honey and see how my 2 are doing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts