South Fl New trap 8 days ago

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by gustavo_m_2000, Nov 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. gustavo_m_2000

gustavo_m_2000 New Member

Hi Ladies and Gentlemans
    I am a newbie here soon to become a hobbies beekeeper!
    I know we are not in swarming season but I would like to let you know that abouth eight days ago I installed a bee trap in one of my palm trees, the reason why I did installed the trap is because I noticed there were some bees collecting some nectar from my palm tree, so it occurred to me that I could install a trap, so I went to South Florida bee supplies and got me a trap with the lemongrass kit for $15, to give it a try, to make a long story it seems that some bees are already moved in, part of the incentive to make them move in was that I am feeding 2 to 1 syrup! so they have a nice home with syrup available for them!
    can someone tells me what happened here since we are not in swarming and still I believe I cut some bees!

how long should I wait so I could transfer to a Nuc hive?
    I know it's too soon to move them and relocate them from my front yard to my backyard !
    any inputs would be appreciate it.

I've been readings lots of books for backyard beekeeping, and currently have the book beekeeper for Dummies!
    good evening!

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome to the forum, I am afraid to tell you but you are only feeding the bees, the lemongrass are getting them there and they are feeding on the syrup. You have to have a queen move in before you can get the bees to stay and that only happen when they swarm.

‚ÄčKen

3. gustavo_m_2000

That's what I though!
    the syrup it's outside of the bee trap in and a platform just for the feeder!

them the bees flight into the the trap. with their tail up dancing, also I 've been noticed that they are defending their trap entrance, I saw a two bees fighting and they end up on the ground but then both of them took off.

I am still hopeful!

will post some pics tomorrow, even if I don't capture some bees, I still enjoying all this action, they are thirsty! 4 lbs of sugar in 7 days !
    I would feed them so they would remain on my area, there is hardly nectar or flowers around here this time of the year! may be I am wrong!
    tks for your input.

4. gustavo_m_2000

What I am going to change is the feeding ratio 1 to 1 to promote building comb instead of feeding 2 to 1, although if continue this feeding 2 to 1 I may promote a early swarm in the other hive where the bees are coming from! they may ended up all on my trap! wishful thinking!

5. gustavo_m_2000

6. gustavo_m_2000

7. LazyBkpr

LazyBkpr New Member

In your area its warm enough that the bees can likely fly all year.. I dont have any idea how often bees swarm in the south, up here its may through July..

The advantage you have will be that the scouts will KNOW where your trap is come spring..
    Use a little care when open feeding. If there is a beekeeper near you, his bees will be taking the syrup back to THEIR hive and could be putting it into his honey supers.. One small jar is not likely to make a difference, and again, I do not know if any keeps down there would have supers on this time of year?
    Keep on trying, and eventually you will convince a queen that your trap is the best option!

8. gustavo_m_2000

Hi thanks for your replies, I doubt it there is beekeeper in my neighborhood we lived in a residential zone! lots of trees around here like avocado, mangos, papayas and what ever fruit trees this neighbor can harvest! and lots of palm trees, we are near the coastal so there is mangrove too.
    There is lots of action within the trap in and out, I think there is a queen there! but not too big of a swarm maybe 1 to 3 lbs of bees!

I would feed them tomorrow 1:1 and take a closed up picture to show you the been entering and exiting the trap!

I love to the help the bees somehow, lots of people are not being educated and see them as a dangerous bugs!
    all it takes is reading to understand how beautiful this creatures are.

I need to get to know beekeepers to mentor me, lol but so far with books and YouTube and forums like this it helps big time!

9. poderac

poderac New Member

Watch the bees going in. If they have pollen on their legs, you likely have a swarm raising brood. If no pollen on any of them, they are likely just robbing the food.

10. gustavo_m_2000

I moved the trap to my backyard yesterday, I check the trap with a flashlight last night and noticed they are building cumb, I'm supposed to move them to my Nuc hive, I am pretty sure there is a queen there but not 100% I am just following the logics. i haven't see carrying anything else but I think is because they are focus on building comb. my educated guess!

keep you post it