Sowing Buckwheat before weekend rain (updated 7-26-11)

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by bamabww, May 12, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I have about 2 acres ready to sow Buckwheat and with rain forecast for late Friday and into Saturday, I hope to get it done before then.

An older beekeeper told me that the buckwheat would bloom within 4 weeks of breaking the ground and bloom for 2 weeks. He said to wait until all the blooms are gone and then to mow it down and let it reseed itself. He said that would allow the process to start over and with luck and proper rainfall, give me 3 maybe 4 blooming seasons before frost.

Anyone have any experience with Buckwheat?

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Re: Sowing Buckwheat before weekend rain

Wayne, i plant buckwheat every year and the beekeeper told you about right. When it breaks ground it will bloom in 28 days, i let it go to seed (seed gets hard and brown looking) and use a brush cutter (mower) on it and disc it in. If you don't the birds will get alot of it, i have got 4 blooms out of it with good weather. The last bloom makes for good dove hunting and brings the deer in. :thumbsup: Jack

3. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Re: Sowing Buckwheat before weekend rain

The first acre of Buckwheat has started to bloom, 27 days after I planted it but I don't know how. I got a little over an inch of rain on it the day after I sowed it and 3 weeks later another inch. It has been over 95 degrees here each day since Memorial day and we are getting very dry.

The buckwheat is turning yellow and really needs a drink of water. haven't seen any bees on it yet but due to the drought I'm wondering if it will produce anything for them to use. 30% chance of rain over the weekend so maybe.....

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Re: Sowing Buckwheat before weekend rain (updated 6-9-11)

Wayne, they only work the buckwheat in the mourning, it's like around 11:00am someone rings the dinner bell and you won't find a bee on it. :confused: At least thats what happens here. Jack

5. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Re: Sowing Buckwheat before weekend rain (updated 6-9-11)

Bees are really working the first acre of Buckwheat now and only in the morning like Jack said. The second acre of Buckwheat and the acre + of Jake soybeans are hurting for a drink of water.

6. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I mowed the first acre of buckwheat and ran a disc over it to cut it in yesterday. Will do the same for the second acre in a couple of weeks. Now if we can a get a good rain.

The acre of Jake soybeans are just starting to bloom.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Wayne, were in a drought here also. :beg: I put out a small field of buckwheat two weeks ago and it's just now coming up. (only had three tenths of an inch rain on it) When i go back to check it, a flock of doves are always on it scratching the disc in seed up :shock: Neighbors have told me the deer and turkey have ate there gardens up, one neighbor said he had 40 tomatoe plants loaded with tomatoes and the turkey got everyone of them. The wildlife is hungry here. :eek: Jack

8. guyross

guyross New Member

Mine is on its second blooming. Like you I cut it in and it came back thicker. I have trouble finding seed here in Etowah County. I want another cover crop because they don't work this buckwheat like I think they should. I have planted sunflowers and they really go for it. I just used the black oil seeds we feed the birds in the winter.

9. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Yeah, they work mine in the morning and that's it. Even during a dearth they still didn't work it like I expected. Welcome to the forum. Good to have another Alabama guy on board.

10. guyross

guyross New Member

I just cut a patch of corn and need to plant something for them and a cover crop for me.

11. JaseEmtp

JaseEmtp New Member

What type of buckwheat is best for the bees? I am looking at planting 3 acres of it if we ever get some rain.
    Jason