speed traps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tecumseh, May 31, 2011.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

It appears with the new and leaner state budget here that numerous little towns from here to Bum#### , Texas are now actively deploying speed traps. In little towns like FRANKLIN, TX and also in this little burg of College Station, TX are now actively pursing revenue enhancement with some gusto. The traffic police also seem quite willing to stretch the truth somewhat (heck let just tell it like it is and say quite plainly that they are liars). THE AUTHORITIES will I guess wonder somewhat later why 'the citizens' have no respect for their authority or position.

any suggestion as to how to confront this mis use of authority would be appreciated.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

we had that problem we fired the police chief. The new one who came in and said if we have to run a speed trap to make ends meet in the budget we best quit now we are done.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

good for you Riverrat. I suspect the citizens of places like Franklin Texas are not so ethically inclined and don't really recognize the ultimate (vs approximate) end results of their behavior. evidently your new police chief did see why employing such tactics cost you in the end.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

We cured it here by the townspeople getting together and paying the tickets with pillow cases full of pennies.
    "unrolled"

They cannot refuse them.

5. bamabww

bamabww New Member

That happened in our area once and some one called the attorney general and asked them to look into it. The local police didn't like a "bigger brother" than them snooping around so they backed off.

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Tecumseh- Sounds like you had an opportunity to learn this first hand. Ouch!
    I would think that if enough people would go to court and contest the ticket instead of just paying it, the judge would begin to see something wasn't right. Of course, that means taking off of work to prove your point when it's easier just to pay the ticket.

Over the holiday weekend, the local police were doing seat belt checks (sneaky so and so's). I narrowly missed the first check point by pulling into a restaurant parking lot, clicking it, waiting a minute and then pulling back out into the line of traffic. (No lectures please) The second check point I was ready for. They had 3-4 squad cars waiting to write tickets to those individuals that got pulled out of the line of traffic.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

sounds like a good place to drive around with a hive of bees in the back of your truck :lol: Just tell the nice officer as long as you are moving the bees will not fly.....so you had better let me be on my way.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it is a dilema... donate a day to traveling 90 miles up the road (one suspects they don't give out many violation to the locals, right?) to deliver a no contest plea and pay your fine with a bag of pennies (<that Iddee is a cleaver fellow).

by appearance the constant working the roads by the DPS and local police here suggest the plague is quickly spreading. It appears there is a good number working the new seat belt law here (you got to wear them no matter where you sit in the vehicle).

so traveler (most especially here in Texas) beware!

9. Murrell

Murrell New Member

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am afraid (<right word) that we all do have (some) cops like those Murrell???

as it turns out the police officer who wrote my ticket wrote the improper date on the ticket. he evidently didn't even know what day of the month it was???? I would suspect he was also clueless that his assorted tattoo's didn't make much of a positive impression on me and he didn't have the good sense to wear clothing to hide 'em either.

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Does the wrong date void the ticket, or am I being naive?

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I guess I will find out?

13. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Look on the side of the ticket for a small pen mark, this is a code,
    ' This guy is a smart a--, hit him hard '

' Nice guy, go easy '

Best advice for a traffic stop ;
    Keep both hands on the steering wheel in plain sight, use one hand to get your billfold, other sill on the steering wheel.

Yes Sir's & No Sir's do wonders

Oh, and Slow Down next time !

My last todo was April 2010, with a Colorado Highway Patrolman, he gave me a short stern lecture and wished us a pleasant vacation !

And yes I was going pertty much over the posted limit, and I figured I was had.

Good Luck
    Murrell

Ps, My stepson is a Judge, Want to hear some stories ???

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

garnett kansas police run speed traps. My cousins husband drove a uhaul van down to joplin load full of basic needs they didnt have. He got pulled over has he came into town. Officer asked him what he was doing and he told him. He said ok I will be right back. He came back and gave him a ticket for 48 in a 40 and the people of garnett cant figure out why people wont go there

15. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I see it this way; We (the public) are like a colony of bees. We go about foraging(working) bringing our pollen and nectar back to our hive (home). The government is a hive raider, they want some of our honey. So they take nectar from us in the form of money and let us go to make more. The problem is they are getting very creative about robbing our stores and leaving us too little to winter on.