Spiders Like My Top Bar Hives

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by blueblood, Jul 25, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have noticed spiders like my tbh's. The pic below is on the front of my blue tbh. The spider was in the process of doing her business on a wrapped bee. I found several webs inside the empty area of my yellow tbh with about 3-4 bees trapped. I save one bee. I figure the spiders can't kill that many bees and the bees they are catching are old and weak. But, who knows, I am not a spider expert. Just thought it was an interesting observation.
    mms_picture (62).jpg

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I don't allow spiders to kill my girls,they have enough predators after them to let them make a home under the lid and eat them. I have enough of them in the barn,sheds, and farm equipment that i don't bother unless it's a Black Widow or Brown Recluse, those things can put the hurt on you:shock:. Been bit twice by the Brown Recluse, abd it gave me a different out look on spiders.:roll: Jack

3. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

We've got a bunch of argiopes (banana spiders, garden spiders) around here. I move them from the hives to the gardens. They're a help with insect control and have even gotten a few grasshoppers. The one of the photos below shows one of the ladies working on a grasshopper.

Argiope.jpg argiope 2.jpg

Walt

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'm with Walt. relocate the spiders to where they'll do good.