Splitting hives question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by RE Jones, Feb 25, 2012.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Just came in from the TBH. I knew I would have to split this hive sometime they way they are building. They only have 8 bars to go and the hive will be full. The bees are covering the complete inside of the hive plus all of the bees on the comb, I'm talking lid,sides and everything.
    Will they build a queen cell out of an already capped larvae or do I need to find a bar with just eggs or larvae on it to put in the nuc?
    I have a 12 bar nuc that I plan on putting several frames in, I know it needs to contain capped brood and honey, but I did not know if they could raise a queen out of this.
    Thanks for the answers I know that I am going to get, Robert :beg:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

just be sure you leave eggs in both boxes, that way you don't even need to hunt the queen down. They will need an egg to a 3 day old larva to make a queen out of. If you don't have two frames with eggs on them then you will need to hunt down the queen and leave her with the capped brood. Do you have any drones hatched out yet? with out them a virgin queen will not get mated. Not sure about your area and how far along the flow may be but you could have queen cells already, have you checked for them?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

As stated above, they must have eggs or new born larva to make a queen.

The best queens are made from an egg as it is hatching into a larva.

4. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

G3, we have drones as of 5 days ago. I have not checked for queen cells, will do that next week when I go through this hive. I opened it up three more bars when I was in it earlier.
    I was pretty sure that it had to be an egg, but wanted to make sure.
    Thanks, Robert

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

eggs are hard to see, get the sunshine to your back and let it shine into the bottom of the cells, the eggs will look like a tiny piece of rice.

Keep us informed on how it goes!

6. tommyt

tommyt New Member

IMHO You have all you need to split the weather has been good for the bee's
    I made splits at the beginning of Feb. I had many drones The hives are located
    in Pinelass Park,I know of people in Riverview who did their splits rt around Feb 14
    they had swarm cells and many drones both flying and capped
    I was at Dadant the first week of Feb. the talk there was spring was 2 weeks early this year.
    All the Big bee folks I'm told, use 2/14 as a general date to begin splits/Queen grafting.

Good luck
    Tommyt