Spraying for mosquitos

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ablanton, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ablanton

ablanton New Member

One of my neighbors is having her yard sprayed for mosquitos. She was nice enough to talk to me first and said if I was concerned, she wouldn't have it done. I suggested she asked them about the effect on bees. She did and said they told her it shouldn't be a problem. I also checked their website and it says they make every attempt to avoid spraying flowering plants. It takes 30 minutes for the spray to dry and then it should be harmless to beneficial insects. I figure I'll cage the girls in for the day just to be sure. Has anyone else had experience with nearby mosquito spraying?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would let them go about there business you may do more harm than good locking them down in a hot hive.

3. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Really? Why is that?

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

If the weather is hot and you close them in the hive, bees will die in a couple of hours.
    Happened to my friend with nucs last summer, left them on the lawn for a couple of hours, half of them died.
    Bees endure cold much better than heat.

5. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Even with a screened bottom?

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would say the risk of the hive overheating is far greater than the bees getting into the pesticide. unless they spray the hive directly most likely the bees will not come into contact with the spray as there shouldnt be much on the lawn for bees to forage unless there is a water source on the property they are using

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

For what it's worth, I live next to a nursery that sprays A LOT. It is impractical to close them in, so I just take my chances. So far, no disasters. I will give the nursery credit for often spraying at night, and trying not to spray the flowering shrubs when in bloom.