Spring Bees hotter?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by pistolpete, Mar 30, 2013.

1. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Is is just me, or are these old winter bees an ornery bunch. I did a very brief inspection today (just pulled 3 frames and peeled off some drone brood to check the mite situation). the ladies were quite cranky about the whole thing, with dozens flying up at me with that evil gleam in their eyes and the angry buzz to match. No veil or gloves and did not get stung, but they were not like that at all last year. My guess is they have gotten used to being left alone over the last 5 months.

On the plus side, we still have snow in the shady spots, but the colony already has 2 deep boxes full of bees. Next stop: Swarmville.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

A hole large population of bees and not much for them to do but the new young bees to feed and care for the new brood and the old workers to guard the hive. in a couple of weeks when they start bringing in pollen and nectar and the bees are out foraging they will be calmer.
    could have a mouse or woodpecker stirring then up also.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

yeah pete, spring bees can be persnikety....like apis said, when the season starts rolling they'll be fine. just a thought, use a little smoke,even for a quick check. it helps. not just for your sake, but for the girls as well.....:grin:

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have just learned this "spring crankiness" out too Pete. I had 5-7 bee missiles every time I placed my hive tool/hand withing five inches of the top of the open hive. That was my most friendly hive too!

5. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I smoked them quite a bit, but then my smoker went out and I had to hurry up and close things before the real trouble started.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I smoked them quite a bit, but then my smoker went out and I had to hurry up and close things before the real trouble started."

:lol:

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

You didnt mention the weather condition. Bees will be a little more cranky when opening a hive on a day you wouldnt want the roof taken off your house.:grin:

8. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

The weather was gorgeous. This same hive has been super gentle in the past, not even needing smoke for cursory inspections. Getting shut in for the winter gave them some serious cabin fever, like the rest of us I guess.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

to add just a bit to Apis description which is about as directly on target as anyone should wish..... come spring time the bees in a box are not only old but somewhat hungry or at least recognize that the pantry is getting bare. over the fall and winter month with no attention by the bee keeper burr comb has been constructed here and here and everywhere and the girls do no like it so much when you begin ripping their handy work apart.

10. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Pete you took the words right out of my mouth.. Went to the farm for Easter lunch and decided to pop in and say hey to the bee's. Was wearing a veil, jacket and shorts ( thinking that this was going to a quick look, and these where my most easy going bees ) Took the cover and inner cover off with no problems as soon as I pulled the candy board off the game was on... :chased:. Yes a quick retreat was in order the weird thing was they seemed to have no interest in stinging me 20 - 30 followed me but none where up to stinging me. I went back a little better prepared ( no flesh showing and the smoker ). Take 2 was real peaceful, lesson learned 1st pretty day inspection pf the year suit up.:lol:

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I went for a full suit today after receiving a light sting through my denim jeans (not my normal heavy denim) But in 4 hours work, disrupting EVERYBODY changing to summer migratory covers with screened feed holes, that was my only sting.

When the box is crowded, just before swarmville, is when I find mine get the hottest. Which makes me quite suspicious of Hive 4, because I switched their boxes last week, barely looked when I changed the cover, and they chased me around the lot all afternoon, bumping into my headgear.

12. jim314

jim314 New Member

I have experienced the same behavior this week. I was mowing Saturday and got stung twice before I decided I should not be doing that without a veil. The last two years have never been a problem with the mower. This happened after two of the hives swarmed around noon. Today I came home for lunch and saw another one swarming. As I type there is a swarm that is probably 8 lbs in a cedar that is out of reach for me (with storms and colder weather coming tonight).

I was sitting out by the hives tonight and my wife came to sit with me. She got stung on the leg out of no where. Hate that because she probably won't do it again. I went back out and got buzzed in my hair (what there is of it). They are not happy with us :)

13. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

some people learn faster than other. I went to feed my bees tonight and decided to crack the lid for a quick peek. Sure enough, 2 bees kamikazied. First 2 stings of the year.

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Jim, my wife took a walk with me out to my yard a couple of days ago. I stopped within 20 yards because I know how they have been this spring. She continued to walk up to them and asked me what I was doing. Of course, I couldn't let her out-mancho me, ha! So, I joined her at three feet to the side and watched for a while. Not even the slightest head butt or fly by. Oh, how I missed the bees all winter.

15. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

So far with only two inspections this year, my bees have been very passive, haven't even used the smoker. Had it ready but didn't use it.