Spring better hurry up!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Feb 12, 2013.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Checked hives last week for weight and two were getting light. Opened telescoping cover to find bees at the top coming through the inner cover. Went out last night with spacers and dry sugar for emergency feed. LOTS of bees, 8 solid frames worth. I hope the 6 lbs of sugar I poured on newspaper over the top bars will last another month or more. Come on spring!

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

No doubt, I am excited to get this second year underway. Whoot Whoot! :yahoo:

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I can tell some hives are rearing brood in noticeable amounts, clusters have grown over the past few weeks.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

And with the increase of brood production the bees have to feed the brood as well as maintaining the temperature in the combs containing the brood. The consumption of stores is going to increase rapidly. If natural stores are not coming into the hive or youre not feeding, and the hive sence that reserves are running low they will slow down of stop brood production. Sometimes not soon enough and the bees starve a week before the natural flows start.

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I poured 6 lbs of dry sugar on a sheet of newspaper on top of the top bars last night and gave it a spritz of 1:1 syrup with some cider vinegar to get it to clump. Hope that keeps them alive until we start getting some nectar coming in or it's warm enough to feed syrup.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

so DLMKA how far away do you think spring is? what botanical specimen at you location is identification that spring has arrived?

7. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

This will be my second spring as a beekeeper so I'm not 100% sure what the first important spring bloom is important for bees but maple trees have to be one o the first. In the past I've always looked at forsythia blooms to be a harbinger of spring along with daffodils starting to push up.

8. Ray

Ray Member

ME TOO!:thumbsup:

Tecumseh : the first botanicals up here are the Red Maples. As far as critters; don't trust the robins.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well here we first get some very very small blooms (in great quantity) that I think is either wild onion or wild garlic, then dandelions and then maples (I am not certain if these are the red species or not???).

we are pretty much in a fly way here Ray and I like yourself have learned that 'the critters' ain't to be trusted when it comes to announcing spring.

I saw some redbuds and forsythia blooming yesterday.

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

This year in florida i dont think we even had a winter...I've been sweating for days since the last cool breeze...it was 82° in the house at 10:00 pm last night (bleckkk) 69° outside. Ive had brood an drones for...?umm?...im not sure they ever left...the red maples bloom in december/january but to be honest the bees never stopped bringing in pollen from something...a few of the landscape shrubs have bloomed...tea olives...chicksaw plums are in bloom now along with some other trees...redbuds have been in bloom since week before last (cept mine...they started in early january)...oaks are starting an soon the hicorys...i never new bees liked hicory till last year...if i lived 30 miles south i doubt they ever stop having at least a trace of a flow to go on.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Talked with a new keep/friend who has had an indoor observation hive the last 4 years running. This fall his one outside hive perished due to heavy mite load, but his indoor hive (only 100 feet away) has never been treated and has shown absolutely no signs of mites?????
    Anyways, I called earlier to see if he has seen any sign of brood rearing in his ob hive, and surprisingly no. He said he almost always sees something in the last week of January, but nothing to date. He is concerned as this is the 4th year for this queen!!! :shock:
    His set-up is a deep and a medium for brood, with 5 mediums across the top for honey.
    Sort of like this:

IIIII
    I
    I

I told him that if this queen starts up, he should remove the excluder and allow her to come up and lay in those mediums. At that point I would make up some nucs and then drop each of those medium frames into each nuc, and start raising queens off of that ob hive.

12. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

You mean he's got the mediums stacked sideways on the top...intresting...hows that work for the bees getting into them???

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sorry the post wasn't clearer 2Kool
    Let me try this again, (disregard the side ways hashmarks). 5 mediums over top of 1 medium + 1 deep. (not sideways)

------IIII
    -------I
    -------I

14. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Cool arrangement Perry!

15. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Lol...ok...in trees an walls they have comb that goes up an down not sideways...thought he might have been trying to experiment with that...which brings me to a question...ima post it on the main board...i think outside the box...le'ts see what i get.

16. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I got Titebond III all over my fingers and quilted flannel tonight, you all know what that means, new woodenware!