Spring is arriving one bird at a time.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alleyyooper, Mar 11, 2010.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

As I mentioned earlier some place the male Cardnals are singing thier little hearts out for a mate here.
    Started hearing and seeing Sand Hill Cranes this week. We are now seeing numbers like never before in this area.
    I thought I saw a American Kestril last week but wasn't sure. Yesterday Kare and I both seen a couple of them.
    I even saw a dam starling this week, Kare thinks some of them are now staying over winter.

:mrgreen: Al

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

We had flocks of starlings headed your way last week, you can have all of them (even though they are fun target practice with a .22).

saw a couple of Robins yesterday (even though some stay year round)

and I think it was a couple of bluebirds, could not tell, too far away.

G3

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Saw a Great Blue Heron flyng across the sky Friday. Another bird returning to the north.

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I've been seeing huge geese formations flying north for about a week now. :thumbsup:

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

We have Canadians all year long. Many of the area rivers never freeze solid for long and the empth corn fields hold them. Once spring comes all the golf corses and other places provide lush green grasses for them.

Saw Red Winged Black Birds yesterday, another returnee.

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

There were a pair of Cooper's hawks in the neighborhood tonight. It was about dusk and one was trying to catch dinner inside an evergreen tree while the other waited in a tree hanging over the house. This is the second time I have seen that hawk go inside that tree. Last time he was successful.
    Cooper's hawks don't migrate, but still exciting to watch. And darn it, I had to tell someone what I saw!

7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Hawks are fun to watch. We have a bunch of Red Tails in the surrounding area. One year wile deer hunting I watched one trying to get a squirrel. I had left some tops from cutting winter wood the squirrel kept hideing in and sneaking to a spot it could make a run for it. the squirrel lived at least that morning.

Seen a pair of Kildeers yestarday Now I know spring is really near. Now we wait and watch for the pair of Osprey that nest on a cell phone tower near by.

8. srvfantexasflood

AL- Wouldn't you like to have nest cam?

It was fascinating to listen to the pair talk to each other.

Unfortunately, the only predators we have for squirrels here is CARS!

9. srvfantexasflood

AL- Wouldn't you like to have nest cam?

It was fascinating to listen to the pair of hawks talk to each other.

Unfortunately, the only predators we have for squirrels here is CARS!

10. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I have been seeing these really pretty birds with yellow breasts and brown backs with white on the wing tips and undersides of the wings in the trees out back but I haven't been able to figure out what they are.....frustration is setting in with the bird watching thing! I've tried looking them up in every book I can find and on the internet but none of them look like the pictures I'm seeing.

Y'all can have all the hawks as far as I'm concerned! They will kill off every single chicken we have before they ever bother a mouse, rat, or snake near my house. When I still had my sweet little yorkie XLB had to run like crazy to keep a very large and aggressive hawk from taking off with her one day.

I wondered what kind of feeders y'all use, is there one that's better than others. Is there a reason not to make some from old soda bottles?

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Is it small, like a sparrow? If so, your bird sounds like some type of warbler, of which there are 2 gazillion varieties. Perhaps a female Magnolia warbler?
    http://www.outdooralabama.com/images/Im ... bler-1.jpg

Meadowlark is larger, with black bib and no distinct white bars on the wings. Another option might be the Carolina wren, on which the belly varies from whitish to yellow.

I have 2 "traditional" wood feeders, some tube feeders, and suet cages. Different birds like different feeders (some birds can hang on them, some prefer platform feeding, etc.) and different feeders hold different seed. I don't see why you could not use old soda bottles, besides it might be difficult pouring the seed down the narrow neck. They may degrade quickly in the sun, but should last a season.

My biggest issue is that my seed this fall was apparently contaminated with vetch seed, and I will be spending all summer weeding vetch out of the flower gardens! Argh!

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The buzzards have arrived, but yet to see or hear my first meadowlark. Jack

13. srvfantexasflood

Ma Beek-Soda bottles are OK. It's good to recycle. As long as there is drainage, so your seed doesn't get wet and moldy.
    There are different types of feeders for the different birds that you want to attract. Tube feeders will attract the smaller birds. I put black oil sunflower seed in mine. I have a finch feeder filled with thistle seed. It brings in the gold finches and purple finches. Then I have a hopper feeder and that feeds the SQUIRRELS and everything else like blue jays, cardinals, chickadees, juncos(in winter), etc. I use black oil sunflower seed in the hopper feeder too. Some of the hopper feeders are weight sensitive, they close when a squirrel gets on them. Those are expensive. there are other birds, like mourning doves, that come and eat the fallen seed off the ground. Rabbits will clean it up too, if they are hungry enough.
    My husband likes to shoot at the squirrels with a BB gun, so the windows in the hopper feeder are all full of holes.

14. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

It looks a great deal like the magnolia warbler you put up the pic link for....thanks a heap, now at least I have some kind of an idea what the little critter might be.

My hubby has the worst problem in the world with buying anything that he can get away with not buying.....so most (or all) of any bird feeders we end up with will end up being homemade. Not that I mind doing that, just wanted to be sure it wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure what vetch it but it sounds like something I don't wanna pull out of any gardens! Good luck getting rid of it.

15. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Oh boy, I don't wanna think about trying to keep a hopper feeder around here if the squirrels like those that much! I would NEVER get my boys to get anything done around here ever again....their entire day would be spent trying to get a squirrel trapped to either eat or tame depending on the mood they're in. :roll:

I got a bag of seed and looked up some directions for making soda bottle feeders so as soon as I get a minute or three I'll try to make a couple feeders. We have the prettiest cardinals this year that I've ever seen. We also have lots of the little orange bellied bluebirds...whatever they are called, they sure do sing sweet in the mornings! Now we have quite a few of those little yellow finches too, they keep hunting around where Baby Beek had all the hyssop planted last year looking for leftover seeds.

This bird watching thing is fun y'all! Thanks for clueing me in on it :wave:

16. srvfantexasflood

The little yellow finches (goldfinches?) really like the purple coneflower seed heads and Tithonia Mexican Sunflower. I can't say enough about the Mexican Sunflower. If you have never tried them, I'd encourage it. They're as easy as Zinnias to start and I love that bright orange flower with a yellow center. My honey bees didn't work them last year, but every other bee did.
    I threw down some Dutch clover seed yesterday and may go get some more today. Wednesday and Thursday were the first beautiful days we have seen so far.

17. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Kestriels are back, seen a pair Tuesday.
    Saw my first gader snake yesterday too.
    Also saw a Indgo Bunting pair yesterday. They only pass thru this area as they nest about 395 miles north of us. We see them all summer long at the cabin.
    Yes being seeing the buzzards.

Got to laugh at the peigons near town. They are always setting on some high wires at the edge of town for some reason. Then about a week ago we noticed none on the wire As we made the turn Kare sees a red tail like and angle in the top of a white pine tree. Those peigons were scares for many days even though the hawk moved higher into a power line pole.

They sell a feeder cap for soda 2 liter bottles at the bird store. Just make a wire hanger in the bottom of the bottle, fill the bottle with seed screw on the feeder lid and hang it.

:D Al

18. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

thanks for the information on the cap for the soda bottle Al! We end up with about a dozen or so every Sunday. The local dump doesn't accept them and there are always a bunch after the carry in at church on Sunday nite so we have a good amount and have been trying to figure out what to do with them.....Baby Beek has plans to build a greenhouse out of them, but I'm sure I can pilfer a few for bird feeders.

19. the kid

the kid New Member

yesterday on the way to forest lake , seen 4 bald eagles on the lake ,, but on the way back 6 were on the lake eating and a 7th came in to join them for a bite , made the trip worth going :thumbsup: :yahoo: .
    yea I just like eagels ,hawks , all birds of pray ,doves and humming birds .

20. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We used the watch the eagles every year along the missouri and the mississippi rivers....that used to be one of my favorite things in the world!