Spring is starting to spring

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

and I got none of that done, bookkeeping work and a sick cat, I haven't been in the bees, hope they are ok

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

we have all been there and done that, and even now after years we all lose hives even when you do everything right...they say an education costs..so you are paying tuition to learn from experience..

3. Gypsi

I need to get into mine, I've been off on ponds and hoping there was enough flow, but not enough to cause swarming, so far they appear ok

4. roadkillbobb

well I had 1 hive left at the end of the winter, till a new friend arrived in the area, a young male black bear, he destroyed the hive and I had the other empty hive set as a swarm trap and he crushed that one too, I had 4 swarm traps about 7 ft in 4 separate trees and he swatted them off the trees and broke those up..
    I watched him from about 300 yards try and climb a tree for my last swarm trap, but couldnt get it, ill have to check this morning to see if he came back at night to finish the job..
    so ill rebuild them and move them to smaller trees he cant clime and if I catch any swarms ill move the hives to the backside of my barn and put up an electrical fence and physical fence to keep him out...
    and hopefully he stays around till hunting season in november and will become a rug for my wall and meat in the freezer...
    if its not little bitty mites its bigger predators ....to kill off your bees...

5. Gypsi

oh boy. well in Texas is fire ants, skunks and mites and small hive beetles. sorry about that. You live in a beautiful place, everyone wants to come see you. I have read posts by people that fenced an area for a platform for their hives and put pretty hefty electrical charge on the fence. Because where there is one bear there are generally more

roadkillbobb likes this.
  6. roadkillbobb

we have all those except the fire ants....you can keep those little suckers..I rebuilt all my swarm traps and rehung them on small diameter trees, so if mr bear tries to climb he wont be able to..maybe..if I catch ant swarms and put them in hives ill put up an electrical fence and a physical fence to try and keep the bear out..

7. Gypsi

Hope it goes well Bob.