Spuds

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by SlickMick, Aug 19, 2009.

1. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Got a lovely crop of spuds (potatoes) yesterday out of my few square yards of backyard garden.. nice red skinned "desiree" .. yum

Mick

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have about four more rows to dig up, was going after some this morning and when I walked outside it was just pouring the rain.

We have had so much rain this year the weeds finaly took the garden over.

Rain quit so I took the tractor and box blade over to the neighbors and graded his driveway out where it had been washing away.

Now I have the tractor torn apart looking for a very small short and finaly found it, bad amp guage was discharging the battery in four to five days.

G3

3. rast

rast New Member

Ah, the life of a farmer. My red skins (pontiact's) came up great this past spring and then my irrigation canal dried up and I lost the whole garden. There have been a few times I was flooded out.

4. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

From the sound of it I am lucky that I live in the burbs. I have a 10,000 litre tank that catches all the rain water off my roof that I use for irrigation on my vegie patch.

Going to plant some more

Mick

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Never planted spuds. Maybe next year.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I tried to plant spuds this year. Nothing came up. Then I found out that the potatoes you buy in the store are treated so they won't sprout. Doh! Got some nice ragweed and nightshade, though.

7. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

That's a problem Hobie. I buy seed potatoes from a merchant that have been certified disease free and they sprout really well. I found th emerchant not far from me by searching the web. They like plenty of humus and are hungry feeders.

Have another go you may be surprised :eek:

Mick

8. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

So should I assume that the spuds that sprout in my drawer are ok to plant as they sprout after awhile :?: Or will they just die after awhile?

I never knew they treat spuds for sprouting.

9. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

They will probably work for you to some extent, however seed potato do better.. You'll get between a 5:1 and 7:1 ratio on new spuds with seed potatos

They also treat garlic for sprouting

Mick

10. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Thank you Mick,

Garlic...Now that I had planted this year from a huge bulb bought at market. And nothing!

I had also planted some spring onions I bought from market, and not one came up.

I never knew they sprayed things like this.