Square Langstroth Brood Chamber

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rail, Jul 16, 2012.

1. rail

rail New Member

This is the start of a square Langstroth brood chamber. Has anyone tried this style of hive?

[​IMG]

2. pturley

pturley New Member

Never tried it (haven't been at it too long), but my back hurts just looking at it... :lol:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I knew an old keeper in BC who had bees till he died in his 90's. He had quite a few 14 frame Langs that he swore by. For the life of me I can't remember why he preferred them.
    He had a cake with an actual photograph of him with a honey bee on his nose (that had appeared in a newspaper) presented to him by our bee club on his 90th birthday. I don't know how they got that picture on the cake but it was amazing. His name was Jim Medill, and I just found this clipping about him.

"highly respected Surrey beekeeper, Jim Medill,who was one of those legends who more than lived up to his reputation.
    “Jim was one of the great beekeepers of his day, always ready to help a fellow-beekeeper or visit a school group to promote the joys of beekeeping and honey-eating. He owned a building in Chinatown, kept 20 hives on the roof, and often told wonderful stories about his 400 pounds-per-hive average, until someone pointed out how close he was to the packing plant for what was then called BC Sugar.â€

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

seems like these are called modified jumbos (or something like that). jumbo's were a full one foot deep and I believe???? 12 frames wide <I did see some of these in action a long time ago. I think the idea was brood and feed chamber all in one box and everything above the first box was surplus for the bee keeper to take. they one's I witnessed all used queen excluders (oversized also).

5. rail

rail New Member

Had some time to fabricate the bottom board and inner cover for the square Langstroth. The inner cover is 3.125" tall with rails installed to attach #8 wire mesh. The rails are raised .250" from the bottom edge similar to the bottom of a Miller hive top feeder. I have had good success with modified screened bottom boards installed as an inner cover also. The upper entrance is .250" x 1.0".

Cover ready for wire mesh.

[​IMG]

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nice looking wood work.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice shop, welder and everything. :thumbsup:
    I'm :mrgreen: with envy.

8. rail

rail New Member

PerryBee & tecumseh thank you for the compliments!

Working on the hive stand, need to install the lower cross braces. Have to fabricate the outer cover, 11 5/8" deep brood chamber and 11 1/4" frames. The first chamber pictured is 9 5/8" deep.

[​IMG]

9. rail

rail New Member

This hive gets moved into the new Jumbo hive.

[​IMG]

10. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Square Hives Contact

Hives of square plan are common in the UK.

Forum member Steve_gts keeps 10 hives each having 11 frames 14 x 12 in the brood box. He may be able to give some useful comments.

I am afraid that my back gave quite a twinge when I saw your hive. :grin:

A square brood box allows you to have the frames aligned "cold way" (as in a Langstroth) or "warm way" (frames parallel to the hive front). I have mine "warm way".

11. pturley

pturley New Member

Interesting comment. While I've read this before, it never clicked quite the same way... I have yet to see a feral hive, a skep or gum organized "cold way". Add to this the queen's aversion to light in her preferred laying sites...

(It is gleaning comments like this certainly get the wheels turning in your head!)

Even though I am using ten frame langs, the next bottom boards I build may have to be a bit different... ...perhaps reversible? HUMMMM!!!!:think:

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: Canadian technology!

http://www.beeworks.com/modkitdetails.html

13. rail

rail New Member

Anyone in Europe or US have experience with the Dadant-Blatt hive?

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

takin' off the strap would make my back hurt.

15. Omie

Omie New Member

This square brood box plan would i think be great for those who want all mediums for their hives- not as heavy, but 12-13 frames per box.

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

even mediums would be very heavy... at my age I am tending to believe that 8 frame stuff looks like a pretty good idea.

17. rail

rail New Member

My current hives are; eight frame deep 3 & 4 chambers, eight frame mediums, eight frame deep & medium super, ten frame deep 2 chambers, ten frame deep with two 7 5/8" supers and the eight frame jumbo. I really enjoy the eight frame jumbo and look forward to the twelve frame brood chamber.

I have read Brother Adam's and Frank C. Pellett's writings and like their philosophy of large single brood chambers. I plan to use shallow square supers with ten frames over the square brood chamber as Brother Adams practiced.

Guess I like to experiment :mrgreen: with what works for me in my region. Sometimes I fail, but learn by doing.:idea: :frustrated:
    I appreciate any thoughts for this next trial!

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    I have read Brother Adam's and Frank C. Pellett's writings and like their philosophy of large single brood chambers. I plan to use shallow square supers with ten frames over the square brood chamber as Brother Adams practiced.

tecumseh:
    I have never read either of these authors (except perhaps an article or so by Brother Adams) but the basic shape of the jumbo in particular and perhaps the modified jumbos somewhat less are essentially cubic in dimension. This plus the lack of dividing space where top bar and bottom bars meet would suggest to me that the space itself is likely easier to cool in the summer and heat in the wintertime. In operation they like many other shapes or kinds of hive had their own issues that made them not so popular in application.

19. rail

rail New Member

Finishing the square hive, fabricated outer cover, panting brood chamber and hive stand.

[​IMG]

20. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

Nice work!

What do you have in the background? Those look like propeller spinners. Sorry...been in the airplane business over 30 years. :smile: