squash bugs!

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Mama Beek, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

How on earth do I kill those things?? They are gonna drive me batty in no time.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

White, powdered lime.

3. Monie

Monie New Member

Soldier bugs just love to eat squash bugs. I fight with those critters myself.

4. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

2 T crush red pepper and 1 qt of water boil for 5 mins strain add dish soap and place in gal sprayer. Spray every 3 days. You can also plant with crushed peppers with the seeds.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Argh! Hate those nasty things. Wish I could find soldier beetles.

I read in Mother Earth News that they like to hide under boards, so if you lay a few small boards on the soil around the plants, they will hide and you can flip the boards and squish them. I haven't seen the buggers yet, so I can't vouch for this method, but I'm sure it'll be soon.

Here's a link to Mother Earth News "Squash Bug Squisher." Pretty low tech, but might work.
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Squash-B ... -Crop.aspx

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I thought you had some guineas?

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'll go put some boards out today. We've been watering and then picking them off since they run up the stems when you water the plant. Will lime burn the plants??

I don't know where to find soldier bugs?? I'll have to look them up and send the boys on a mission.

I'll give the red pepper a try, I tried garlic and aspirin last week with soap and oil ..... it seemed to help some but those bugs are tough.

G3, we did have some guineas ..... and boy do I miss them!!!! While they lived here (instead of my Pastor's house) we had ZERO ticks and very few other bugs. I have to go get some guineas. <sigh>

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Lime won't hurt the plants. Instead, it will raise the PH of the soil, making the plants grow better.

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Ain't timing a wonderful thing??!!! We had 6 new guineas hatch this afternoon!!!

10. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Did you get the bugs under control? I have had great sucess with the hot pepper spray.

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We did better than I thought we would. We used the lime that Iddee recommended, plus DE on the ground under the plants, plus we mixed the pepper spray solution with vegetable oil and a crushed aspirin in a sprayer and used it all over the garden. We are finally getting a few cucumbers here and there, we have a half dozen watermelons fixing to get ripe, the tomatoes that didn't get killed are going to town now, and I got a few squashes. We still go out with the duct tape and pull the eggs off when we see them, which isn't real often now.

We also ended up battling with the vine borers at the same time! Little Man took some BT out in a syringe and injected the stem of every plant then covered the scar over with rabbit manure and after a little pout time the plants are starting to perk up and bloom!

12. Hobie

Hobie New Member

My (?) squash bugs were all out of synch this year. I had squash coming in, and no bugs. After a couple weeks, I saw eggs on the leaves, and picked them off. By the time I saw a few adults, the squash was past and I pulled the plants. Let's hope this disrupts their cycle. (yeah, right!)