Squeee!!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by heinleinfan, May 6, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I HAVE A QUEEN! I HAVE A QUEEN!!!

On April 1st, I did a hive split, first time ever. Beta is my zomgproductive hive (it was my original 2nd hive four years ago) and we split it to repopulate Alpha (my original first hive) which vacated some time early this spring and left the box empty.

I checked on Alpha today, the hive that was formed from a split, a "walk away" with no requeening, about a month ago. About ten days ago my husband and I checked on it; there was no sign of brood that we could see, but we did spot what I thought might have been an erupted queen cell, but just one.

The top box was mostly honey and nectar, so I stopped after just a few frames to check out the bottom box. The ladies (and a few gents) were being completely normal and mellow, I only smoked a tiny bit before opening the lids, so I felt hopeful. Then I pulled the first bottom frame, the very middle frame, and it had nothing but a half dozen poorly spaced larvae, and my heart sank a little.

Pulled the next frame, and it was a beautifully full well-layed out patch of brood, on both sides! Next frame, the same. Then, pulled the fourth frame, and THERE SHE WAS! She's gorgeous, and has some dark spotting, unlike her sister in Beta who is pure golden, giving her a kind of calico look to her.

My ladies raised up their own new queen and are on their way to a super successful hive! I'm so darned proud of them!!!

Welcome to the world, Queen Alpha!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well done :thumbsup: and Congratulations! :mrgreen:

A word of caution. If I read your post correctly you mentioned: "Then I pulled the first bottom frame, the very middle frame"
    Pulling a middle frame from any box can be fraught with peril. Much better to pull an outermost frame first and set it aside, there by leaving extra room for manipulating the next frame and so on till you get to the middle. Pulling a frame directly from the middle (right off the bat) has risks to it, particularily rolling or crushing the queen, who usually spends a great deal of her time on the centremost frames to begin with.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Great advice from Perry!

Congratulations on your successful split and new queen! Don't you just LOVE that feeling when you see the brand new queen that was born in your own hive? :Dancing:

4. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Ah, I did not mention that, but yes. I have, in each box, an empty frame on the edge of each, no foundation or anything and I pull them out periodically when they do start to get drawn out and cut out the wax, that I use as a spacer. I always take that out first so that I can then move the actual occupied frames around when inspecting.

5. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Middle frames

WOW !
    Thanks Perybee! GOOD info.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a perry snip..
    Pulling a middle frame from any box can be fraught with peril.

tecumseh..
    but not really a problem if you do as almost all the commercial bee keeper do and run 9 frames in a 10 frame box. of course here other benefits may include better ventilation in the bottom box.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Good advise from Perry, I always pull the outside frames first, but many times i have found the queen on that frame.:eek: I always take my hive tool and push the frames(on the ends and not to deep) as far as they will go away from the end frame i'm going to pull,and pull that frame slowly and straight up.Most all of my hives are 10 frame, and seems like there is no way to keep from killing a few bees when working hives. Jack

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Up here in Tundraland we have to run 10 frames just to keep the bees cozy and warm. :wink: Are you sure you guys only run 9 frames cause you don't want to pay for the tenth one? :lol:

9. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I have, apparently, bees with mutant super strong woodworking genes in them; every time I tried a 9 frame setup, even if I pushed all those frames together I'd come back a couple weeks later and the ladies had wiggled them apart so the spacing was all wrong again!

I just keep that empty 10th frame in all my boxes now, on the edge. The comb on the outermost frame close to it always gets built out wider on that frame, but it's nearly always honey in those longer cells anyway!

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i am with perry on pulling frames, i start at the end or 2nd one in, and my philosophy is, as i pull the frame, the queen might be on that frame, so it is lifted with that thought in mind, and work my way in until i see eggs/larvae, and a good laying pattern. unless there is a purpose for me to find the queen, i stop at this point. (i have had queens on these outer frames).

a comment about 9 frames vs. 10 frames.....i use 9 frame deeps, and it is not necessary to push the frames together in a 9 frame setup. i space these equally in the hive body. this said, my frames are all drawn, and when i cycle an old frame out with foundation i do nothing different, except if i place 2 frames of foundation in, they are not placed side by side.

when first starting with a 10 frame setup with frames of foundation, yes push the frames together, until they are drawn, then remove the 10th frame, this will aid in ease of removal without rollling and killing bees.

also heinleinfan, you will not be able to keep a 'spacer' at the end of your box for long, you will fight with the bees to fill this frame, let them do so, more honey for winter survival:grin:

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Perry snip..
    Up here in Tundraland we have to run 10 frames just to keep the bees cozy and warm. [​IMG] Are you sure you guys only run 9 frames cause you don't want to pay for the tenth one?

a Riverbee snip..
    a comment about 9 frames vs. 10 frames.....i use 9 frame deeps, and it is not necessary to push the frames together in a 9 frame setup. i space these equally in the hive body. this said, my frames are all drawn, and when i cycle an old frame out with foundation i do nothing different, except if i place 2 frames of foundation in, they are not placed side by side.

tecumseh:
    well kind of Perry but it is more like 100 boxes equals 109 boxes.

actually Perry I know how to get 9 frames properly drawn in a 10 frame box. spacing for me is pretty much seasonally defined.... in the summer time this means equal spacing across the width of the box and in the fall the 9 frames get shoved up fairly tightly together. a bit later (typically in the fall of the year) one frame gets removed and a frame feeder is added and just like magic those 109 boxes are now about 118 boxes.

ps... I am glad you have a nicely laying queen heinleinfan.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Now that's experience showing through, Texas style. :wink: Go big, or Go home! :thumbsup:

13. jim314

jim314 New Member

Congratulations on a successful split heinleinfan. :)