Standardization of beekeepng equipment

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Jul 18, 2009.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

While all of the modern hives are made to be applied to each other maintaining bee space, and setting one on the other, in my experience I find it quite a bit easier in one respect to use only one size of super for everything. unless your in a area that doesn't have a very strong nectar flow, or your trying to make comb honey, seems advantagous to one one type of super, either medium or deep/ hive bodies. For some I understand it's the wieght, but seems to me that the advantage of not have various sized super equipment in the honey house makes sense no worries about mixing or matching. Just my perhaps convoluted thinking :? .
    Barry

2. notaclue

notaclue New Member

I still have various sizes that I'm using. I'm on the fence about standardizing my equipment. I don't have a problem with different types, I guess because I started out that way and just kind of stayed there. Now if I get more hives, then I will probably go to same size honey supers.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I just wish the woodenware manufacturers would standardize. The frames are 3/8 inch shorter than the box, for bee space, That much is fine, but where do they put the 3/8?
    I have boxes with frames flush with the top. I have boxes with frames 1/8 in. clearance on top and 1/4 on bottom. I have boxes with 1/4 clearance on top and 1/8 on bottom.
    Stack them wrong and you can have anything from frames touching, to 5/8 inch bee space.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I hear ya on that iddee, and then throw in some home made stuff on top of that.

Almost would have to stick with one mfg. to keep all of the dimensions running the same.

I run deeps and shallows for what little bit I do, no mediums on the place. I could see where all mediums would make things easier in the long run though.

G3

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Hmmm. I have some bought and some homemade (not by me). This could explain why one hive always has comb between the boxes.

I think something like all mediums would be a good idea, but after taking my introductory class 4 years ago, I bought traditional deeps and shallows. 20/20 hindsight. Maybe when they wear out I'll switch....

6. rast

rast New Member

I like the weight factor of mediums, but it takes 3 mediums to equal 2 deeps. 1/3 more cost factor and assembly time. That said, it sure is aggravating when I get 5 miles down the road to do a split and realize that I brought the wrong size box and frames with me. I have been trying to get mine to all deep brood and med. supers as I go along.

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I never cared whether a honey super was a medium or super when I placed it, and could not care once they are full. :lol:

I never cared in buying equipment, especially very cheap, or given to me....like free!

Of course for anyone not palletizing, not sure why everything or anything would need to be one size.

That is not to say I do not see the advantages of lighter or smaller boxes. But I'll use it all.... ;)