Staple gun and compressor

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by woodbutcher, Jan 25, 2012.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher New Member

:hi:
    I am currently building hive bodies and I have nailed them by hand for the last few years, using 2" roofing nails and glue, which has worked really well. I am tired of nailing. I will be buying a new staple gun and compressor very soon. Can any of you lead me in the right direction as to which rig will work the best? Which size staples are best for hive bodies, length and gauge?
    I have a brad nailer to build my frames, and it does the job very well. I just need something to speed up box building. And advice you may have will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard <introduce yourself in the introduction section if you have the time.

some times I hand nail and sometimes I use a frame nailer (senco) with small nails (2" I think).

a large capacity stapler (I don't know which name to recommend) does an excellent job with boxes... may in fact produce a better lasting box than nails.

roofing nails I would have likely avoided since I tend to prefer some fastener with a very thin shank for boxes (tends to limit splitting).

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome woodbutcher, glad you found us! :thumbsup:

I have used staples (1/4 crown) on frames before but never on the boxes themselves. Wouldn't an ordinary nail gun do this, why would you use staples on hive bodies? A dollop of glue and nails have never let me down. :D

4. jb63

jb63 New Member

I think your looking for a 7/16 crown.Bostich and senco are both good.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Haven't used nails on boxes in several years, i now use 21/2 in. screws and the #111 outside glue. Had to many nails work out letting water in the gap and rot out. I will say we have better glue and different types of nails than we had years ago. :thumbsup: Jack

6. Chickm1

Chickm1 New Member

I use a Ridgid Narrow Crown Stapler. I use this same stapler on frames and boxes, by just changing staples. I glue my frames and boxes, as well.

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Just started making Nuc's and Capture boxes from Plywood and I used a Stapler for the first time, worked very very well, 1/4" crown, and 1 1/4" long.

Lowes DIY had a special on their Campbell Hausfeld portable compressor with hose, and stapler and staples all in for $89. Also had a gift card for $25 , so it made my day.

Glue and staple these boxes and no issues, and faster than screws or nails.

My Cypress boxes I will continue to glue and screw though.

[​IMG]

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

NAILS?! what are those......:lol:
    i use trim head screws (galv or stainless,ooh ouch pricey) on any new boxes, deeps, supers, and vent boxes, bottom boards, topcovers, etc., or when repairing equipment. also everything is glued.
    frames are handnailed/glued using a jig, speeds it up.

9. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

At work we only use Senco we have tried a few others and they just don't seemto hold up very well. They are, maybe slightly more expensive but they are work horses and can go from 7/16" to 2" staples. The other part I like about them is they are completely rebuildable so as long as you don't run it over with a fork truck ( yes I've seen it done:frustrated:) they are really easy to refurbish your self and parts are readily available. We have probably 20 of the original 25 form ten years ago when we opened that are still used heavily on a daily basis. So if you want a hassle free tool for life that is what I would suggest. As far as the actual brand of fastener it is not really an issue they all seem to work equally well so put the money out for the tool and don't worry about the staple. I use 16 gauge just because I can grab them from work ( no not blue collar theft, but there is no clue between the two owners and me what we actually owe each other :confused: we borrow money from each other, help on home/church projects so we figure it will all work out in the end )

10. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have a Campbell Hausfeld pancake compressor and combo nailer/stapler gun. My cabinet maker friend has only senco guns and I think reidi_tim is right on. The only real complaint I have with the combo Hausfeld unit is when you want to shoot just brads, the driver leaves a dent the size needed for driving the staples, marks up the wood too much. I will probably save up my sheckles and buy a dedicated senco nailer for shooting just brads.

12. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I use a 15 guage nail gun with compressor. It works well. I use 2" nails, and in the 15 guage size they don't tend to veer off course and come through the sides of the boxes. I also have an 18 guage nail gun that I use for the frames, but with such thin nails they do tend to come through the sides of the frames, especially when using 2" nails... unfortunately I have a whole lot of 2" 18 guage nails to use up before I can justify buying a box of 1.5" nails for the frames.

My 18 guage gun is a bostitch, the 15 guage is a porter cable. It took me a little while to get used to the 15 guage gun, at first I had the tendancy to double-tap the trigger, but once I got used to it I stopped having any double-punches and subsequent jams. I do like how easy it was to clear jams on the porter cable though. I havn't had to clear one on the bostitch and it doesn't look like it'd be an easy task if I ever had to.

13. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I've own a Bostitch S32SX that does 18 ga 1/4" crown staples up to 1 3/8" long that I think will do frames, and a Hitachi 16 ga 7/16" crown stapler that I can borrow to do boxes. Does that sound like a plan? I've got plenty of the 1/4" crown staples, but the Hitachi staples I find at Lowes only come in boxes of a gazillion for over $50. Need to find a different source.

14. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

15. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Thanks, Charlie. I noticed in your earlier post that you're using 1/4" crown staples even for the hive boxes. So maybe my Bostitch would do both frames and boxes. I'm just not sure about the holding power of a 1 3/8" staple on a box. BTW, I clicked on your "Habitat" link and would like to compliment you on a very nice website.

16. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

I know several beekeepers who use staples 1/4" crown staples for boxes. I think as long as you use glue, (Titebond III), you should be ok. I started using deck screws for boxes because I can really suck up the joints and make them really tight. When the glue oozes out you know your doing something right.

Thanks for the compliment on our website. It's a work in progress for sure.