Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a strong two deep hive I'd like to start a NUC from. Is now a good time or would it be best to wait until after the derth?

Thanks
PBK

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have done splits/divides before, during and after dearths....it's just a matter of what your goals are and how much you want to feed them, IMO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done splits/divides before, during and after dearths....it's just a matter of what your goals are and how much you want to feed them, IMO.
My goal is to give the NUC it's best chance of building to at least a full deep box before winter. i don't mind starting it now and feeding if the extra time improves their odds.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
pilot,
i would divide now to give that nuc a good chance to build into a full deep for winter, it does improve 'your odds', rather than waiting until later, and as dr. buzz said, plan on feeding. you are in the south, but here in the north, i would want that nuc in two double deeps come winter.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
you are in the south, but here in the north, i would want that nuc in two double deeps come winter.
i imagine you mean in one double deep, or in two deeps.

That said, I did bring two 5 frame nucs through the winter just fine by bundling them together. I did not feed them at all. not sure if I could do it again successfully in a colder winter this time, but I'm not afraid to try it now! :)

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Make your split now and shake out the laying worker bees 6 feet in front of the split. That will give them a quick boost of bees. Move the queen with the split and let the original location raise a new queen or introduce the bought queen there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make your split now and shake out the laying worker bees 6 feet in front of the split. That will give them a quick boost of bees. Move the queen with the split and let the original location raise a new queen or introduce the bought queen there.
Will do and thanks.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
feed in a dearth is inevitable when you are making up nucs. a downside is... if the weather is very hot then mating may become difficult or impossible. a plus of early summer splitting is this also interrupts the varroa cycle. another plus of early summer splitting is you likely also have the very best drones of the season.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Question is this why you suggested I should do the same when I get the replacement nuc? What will shaking them on to the ground do? Wont they find their way back to the hive?

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
A laying worker hive will not accept a queen. They think they are queen right. Once shaken out, they become stray "dogs". They will take up and be accepted at the nearest "farmhouse". It's the only quick and easy way to get a laying worker hive re-queened.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a snip..
A laying worker hive will not accept a queen.

tecumseh:
and a queenright hive will not accept laying workers. by shaking the bees out you are forcing any laying workers to reenter a now queen right hive. the net effect of this manipulation is to screen out any laying workers so they are no longer a problem. without fail the term laying worker is ALWAYS plural.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm experimenting with queens mated after the first day of summer and am making up 8 nucs to see how they do against 3 nucs with mated queens before the first day of summer.

If they perform as well as the queen in the nuc that Medic took I'll be thrilled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts