started 2 new nucs today

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by Zookeep, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

hives are going like its the middle of spring, I have lots of drones flying and more hatching so I figure why not raise a few more cone-o-bees beauties.

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Well go for it then! :)

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

zookeep does keep them yankee beekeepers all lathered up all winter long. I suggest zookeep that once you stick in the knife twist it from time to time.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Well I ain't takin' the bait! Twist away! lol!

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Ill just have to post LOTS of pics:grin:

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

and it just keeps getting better, found a 2 deep hive today that has gone queenless and found 13 capped cells on 4 frames, so I split it up cell frame,another brood frame and 2 food frames per nuc (3) and broke the hive down to just 1 box and left 1 frame of cells in it and added 2 pulled comb to fill the box.

7. Minz

Minz Member

Oh yeah but its going to be a beautiful day here in the PNW, 73 and sunny. Leaves are changing and I can work my bees in the middle of summer without having to stop and hydrate myself! I got to admit I did start to spin up a notch until I seen that was the expected response!

8. jb63

jb63 New Member

You tell em Minz, this is the best Indian summer in years.

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

had a fast look around in the 6 nucs and the queens are doing fine:thumbsup: Ill have to start making more tops and bottom boards soon for more full size hives

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Zoo, that's great!
    Things are really winding down over here, I'm looking forward to my winter mini vacation from bees and gardening! ;)

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Mine are bringing in something. Not using much syrup while they are bringing, and I think I have the robbing stopped for now. I'm hoping for a winter rest, with some candyboards on, but I never know if we will get a winter. During the winter I grow swiss chard, onions, broccoli, and maybe I'll put in some carrots. Today I picked tomatoes, and a pepper. Yesterday I picked watermelon. As soon as a frost is due I need to dig my sweet potatoes. But work is so busy I don't have time right now.

12. Marbees

Marbees Member

Good going Zook:thumbsup: Your bee reports with pictures are always appreciated, especially during the winter:smile: