Started harvesting tomatoes.

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by PerryBee, Aug 24, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

We tried growing tomatoes back in Lunenburg and never had much luck. We had to plant a dozen plants just to have enough. So we moved to Wolfville (Annapolis valley - farmbelt) and we plant a dozen tomato plants. Every single one of them is producing the most beautiful, perfect tomatoes.
    Go figure! :lol:

Berries 004.jpg Berries 003.jpg

2. Omie

Omie Active Member

Perry...lovely!

We are now right in the middle of tomato season at our house. Every time we go down into town I bring several bags with 4 or 5 tomatoes each and give them to friends or surprise strangers with them. :D Maybe next year I'll get a freezer and save some for winter. But surprising people with beautiful tomatoes is pretty awesome too.
    I don't really get enough at one time to justify canning anything...getting about 10 lovely ones per day. All too soon the season will be over.
    I've always planted about 14 plants of various kinds. This year I went all out and planted 28 plants...! Two died, so now 26 at various stages of maturity.

Perry, what kinds did you plant?

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

We planted 2 types, "Early Girl" and "Scotia (something)" :oops:

We were thinking of canning but like you have mentioned, we have been sharing with friends so probably won't have enough to bother with.
    We are just happy that after 10 years of trying to grow tomatoes in Lunenburg with out much luck, we seem to have struck it rich here! :mrgreen:

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Perry, you sure have a green thumb (or red thumb or blue thumb, as the case may be!) :)

I had a watermellon out of the garden yesterday. Didn't get a picture of it, though. It went pretty quick! :D

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

Nice tomatos, nice basket too :grin::thumbsup:

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeap, nice looking maters!

7. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I haz a jealous!
    I have some green tomatoes, finally, so soon I'll get to harvest. My mother in law grew a Black Cherry this year and she's given us some handfuls, they are so tasty. But it just makes me want a tomato I can really sink my teeth into, instead of it being gone in one bite.

I'm particularly looking forward to trying my Red Zebra, supposed to have excellent flavor, as it's a cross between a yellow and a red. And I have some Hillbilly Potato Leaf starting to produce. I have no idea on their flavor, but I had to grow them just because the name was so fun. We've got some Black From Tula producing, we saved those seeds last year, and that's a tasty tomato. I'm mostly just proud my saved seeds actually produced, heh.

I built a tomato house and through the heat of summer I've had the plastic off of it. In another couple of weeks, I'll be putting the plastic back on it. Nights are starting to cool off here already by September 1 it'll be too cold at nights for tomatoes without a cover.

8. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Our tomatoes have been very good this year. We planted Big Boy and Better boy and one other variety that I don't remember now. We have enjoyed tomato pies and sandwiches all season. Mmmm mmmm good!

9. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Our tomatoes are taking forever here in eastern WA..and the nights are getting down to 40 degrees. I suspect frost will come in the next several weeks...ugh! Just told hubby we need to put the plastic back over. I planted about 13 plants of various heirloom varieties. The moment I see a blush of color I pick them and bring them in and as soon as they are ripe I cut them up and freeze them. I plan on buying a box of them locally and canning them. This has been a frustrating tomato year for alot of people here where I live....frosts into late June didn't help.

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Wayne, did your better and big boys shoulder crack? This is the second year in a row they have for me...I am not growing them anymore...

11. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Nice fruit Perry. Ours have stopped for the summer. We (my wife) cut them back to get ready for the Fall and we (me) have tilled up the garden for the Fall planting.

Walt

12. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Good job Perry!. I seem to kill every plant I touch. Tried to grow tomatoes on our roof here in SF but the fog killed every attempt. I even bought some of those "Fog Friendly" tomatoes but apparently they haven't met San Francisco fog! :shock: