starter bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by radarguy, Jan 18, 2018.

1. radarguy

radarguy New Member

Total newbie here. I've posted a couple of questions on this forum and have gotten terrific help.

I just finished building my hive (see below) and feel like I should start planning for installing bees in the spring (it's mid-January right now). My first questions are:

1. Where/how do I get a set of "starter bees and a queen?"
    2. When do I actually set the hive out and add the bees. I live in Andover MN, just north of Minneapolis. Do I place the hive based on outside temperature overnight, or is there some other criterion?
    3. What do i feed them during the first few weeks, and how can I tell when they don't really need to be fed.

Thanks for any help you can give on these basic questions.

Kevin (radarguy)

hive3_180118.jpg

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

best way to get your first nuc is to try and find someone local, they wont deliver them to you till your area is warm enough for them to start a new hive.and they would answer many of your quetions and they may be a source for info on their bees later on.. 50/50 sugar water should be fed to them to help them get established..with a new nuc I fed them for a few months till summer and then feed again win the fall..

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

and when you start that nuc you will be putting out one box with frames, your bottom board and lid. Too much real estate is a real thing

4. VikingCNP

VikingCNP New Member

The university of MN has an awesome bee website. I just completed the Beekeeping in Northern Climates class.

5. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

got a link?