Starting a cut out this friday

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by barry42001, Oct 1, 2011.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

A home owner decided would be a good idea to try to cut out the colony himself removing the siding exposing the bees, as you may imagine the girls were none too happy about the state of events, and " escourted' him out of the area, and consequencely me being called. Sine the entire colony has been exposed, a cut out should be relatively simple hive, smoker, frames sharp knife ball of twine and feed em up.

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

well, was to be started friday, bee supply place was incognato, had to order from another, will go after work, pick up hive kit ( assembled and painted, yeah I know I am being lazy lol ) but the colony is inside a clapboard wall a portion of the colony is exposed, and apparently are starved for space as comb protrudes outside the confines of the wall. bringing sharp knife, and alot of twine and 4--- 5 gallon buckets, and hope it stops raining monday atleast while I'm working!!! rode my cycle into work was great on way home--not so much lol :thumbsup:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don't forget the camera...............

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

will be using both cell
    phone and camera

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Jeez, I saw you were online and figured you were posting the pics already so I quick looked here, guess I gotta wait a little longer. :beg:

6. rast

rast New Member

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

ohh weather has been treacherous--windy, raining, fairly warm, few hours of sunshine which am hoping to be in tomorrow

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

and so it begins, and what a chore, thought the clapboard style siding would remove easily---HAHAHAHAHAHA then reality kicked in--bees were rather pleasant all things being considered--will return tomorrow to finish still have 3 more boards to remove--see a circular saw in my future lol[attachment=3:2xymfvla]IMAG0031.jpg[/attachment:2xymfvla][attachment=2:2xymfvla]IMAG0032.jpg[/attachment:2xymfvla][attachment=1:2xymfvla]IMAG0034.jpg[/attachment:2xymfvla][attachment=0:2xymfvla]IMAG0035.jpg[/attachment:2xymfvla]

Attached Files:

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

more

Attached Files:

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Looks like it was work alright. Is that wallboard or cement on the backside?
    Thanks for posting the pics.

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

drywall from what I noticed

12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Think it's over, not sure if I got the queen but didn't notice left over clusters of bees, got a very full 5 gal pail of honey comb

Attached Files:

13. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Bees started to re-cluster inside the space where colony was removed so I didn't get the queen, will get bee vac and queen excluder, for under the brood chamber and vac the bees out

14. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

after all the work, they absconded

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry to hear that. Hope you got paid well.

16. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Pay????? :confused: :lol: I was willing to do it for the bees---yeah I know--stupid

17. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Barry, Barry, Barry...for the bee's? Yikes! I always tell my customers about the cost of the equipment and supplies I have to buy for housing the bee's, along with the time and transportation expenses that has to be invested. With all that, I convinced myself to at least charge enough for a partial tank of gas when taking an easy swarm. No free cutouts nor trapouts! Too much time and too much fuel invested to do it for the bee's! Too easy to raise our own! (sorry...I just had to tease you a bit!)

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

ohhh no pay, well I have done a few for no pay myself. Anymore I just turn them down if they do not want to pay. Nothing like good hands on experience though.

Looks like there will be a bee vac and queen cage in your future.

Good job on the cut out and sorry they decided to fly the coop!

19. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

figured the experience would be pay enough, and I can tell ya all---it was. :eek: