starting all over again

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Feb 5, 2014.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

after having all my equipment stolen I'm my previous site, will be setting up another place is a lot closer to where I live. I'll be picking up pair of nucs in the upcoming weeks. should be able to have some much better results because I will be actually in a position to regularly check up on them.

2. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I'm sorry your equipment was stolen, but I'm so glad to see you get back into operation. Good luck and keep us posted. Dang it's easy to hate a thief.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

to show you how desperate these thieves were, from a previous problem I had with the local inbreds driving their truck over top of my hives, I put 40 pieces of re-rod into the ground to make a barrier for the trucks. besides taking My hives they also took the rear re-rod lol very pathetic...

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

sorry man I hope this is a better year for you, Ill be heading up past you in 2 weeks, taking some much needed time in cedar key with the wife, while Im up there Im gonna help out a 84 year old beek get supers on his hives.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

good luck Barry. a loss is a loss but a casualty by vandals is difficult to accept.... some folks are just born into a world of meanness.

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

first thank you all for all the good wishes, secondly well generally speaking I wish ill will of no one I might reconsider my thought I could figure out who actually did do what they did. By and far my new location is easier for me to get to and much closer. I have a hard headed son of a gun and I'm still gonna run all deeps its what I know and I'm comfortable with as far as the physical labor involved while I still have left sided weakness and probably always will the manual labor should help strengthen me a bit. Zookeep, don't know that I'll be in your area when you come up but if you are we could stop by and have a cup of coffee at Mama Sally's in Inglis, lol.

7. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Man, I'm trying to envision how the theft went down because I hate to think another beek stole the boxes. However in Florida, the hives would be active this time of year and whoever stole them would have needed protective clothing and/or know-how. Or the preferred scenario is that the bees took their wrath out on their stinking thieving carcasses. I work in the electric utility industry and my heart doesn't bleed for the idiots who get electrocuted trying to steal copper from a switchyard.

I know you mentioned going back to all deeps, but consider using all mediums and the benefits of interchanging frames between honey supers and brood boxes. There's a lot to be said for going to 8-frame as well. Just something to think about. I'm rather new here, but that's the direction I wish I'd gone a couple of years ago.

8. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

One of my apiaries is 10 frame deep and mediums, one is eight frame deep and mediums, and one is all eight frame mediums. I'm going to go with all eight frame mediums in the future. The boxes are lighter and easier to move and switch around. Using all eight frames mediums will make my life easier, as I am almost 75 years old. I think it would be better for you also.

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

oh there's no doubt it was another beekeeper, the area with these hives were is a economically disaster zone. The hives had died out all 5. ,having been largely destroyed when run over in late spring the colonies went through a few supersedure never built strength, then I went in hospital for 2 weeks another month before I could move a bit. In the intern the bees dwindled down.
    So the short version the hives were empty of bees just drawn comb.

10. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

tomorrow I pick up a nuc, 5 mediums in it brood in all stages according to the seller and with citrus about to come in bloom along with other trees it should do well.

11. Dunkel

Dunkel New Member

Glad to hear you getting back at it. I had three double deeps with supers stolen the day before Thanksgiving. Another beekeep had his stolen in the same area. He got some info last week and recovered his and mine. Never thought I'd see that comb again. I was pretty down hearted putting that new equipment together just to replace what I had lost. On the bright side, I'm ahead of the game for this year. I got to go to court on Monday for the pretrial. Gotta know what he was planning.

12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

can make sure wish you could recover your equipment with a 30.06 rifle.

13. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

you know even a nuc gets testy in the rain....