Starting attack!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Dakine, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Bee hive garage.jpg Attacking bees start.jpg

Getting ready to attack the hive in my garage. It's been there for over 6 years.
    Plan1 is to clear away the shelves so I can get at the full 4 x8 sheet of plywood siding. I'll the cut horizontally across the sheet about 5' up.
    Pull the lower piece out so I hopefully can get at the brood.
    Take some brood and put frames in a super.
    At the same time bee vac a bunch of bees and put in the super.
    If I can find the queen I'll put her in the super also.
    I'll then close the plywood back and let the old hive rejuvenate and hopefully do the process again later and get another hive{no idea how long it will take.]

I think I'll have to move the super with the brood a couple miles away so the bees in the super don't desert back to the old hive?

How much brood should I take hopeing the both the new and old hive will make it ? Leave 1/2 in the old hive?
    Aloha -Dakine guy!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You MUST use a bee vac. Drawing them directly into the vacuum will kill them all.

You need a quart or more of bees and a frame of comb with eggs in each, the super and the barn, for both to survive. That, of course, is a minimum. Any more in either will be a bonus. DO NOT frame up pure honey. It is too heavy and too sticky. It won't stay in the frame and will kill bees.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

When does the trumpet sound off with CHARGE!!

4. DaggaBoom

DaggaBoom New Member

Why not try a Hogan Trap? Basically you extend their brood chamber by adding a box with brood in it at the exit. Have a look at the Church bee project thread