starting new hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by frankh, May 22, 2011.

1. frankh

frankh New Member

I am starting three new hives. I bought the plastic frame/foundations. Somebody told me I cannot dump the bees in with all brand new frames in place. He said I will need to put in a few old frames with the comb on it. This, he claims, will allow the queen to get right to work. Do you agree? Thank you for any help that you can give me. I've been doing a lot of reading, but have not read anything regarding this subject.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With old comb, the queen can start laying eggs about 12 hours sooner. BIG DEAL. Go ahead and dump the bees in. If they will accept the plastic and you feed heavily, all will be fine. You may find that you have trouble getting them to accept plastic. Many people have.

3. frankh

frankh New Member

I went with the plastic on the advise of the people I am buying the bees from(Betterbee in Greenwich, NY). I read if you spray sugar water on them, it will help. What will they do if they will not use the frames I am providing?

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

they will build wild comb in between the plastic foundation.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I dont use plastic foundation for the above reasons it hard to get them to except it. so much easier for them to accept wax. I stay away from duragilt to if the wax comes off they will not build comb in that area. My opinion when dealing with beekeeping houses you got to remember they are salesman. And sometimes salesman might not keep your best interest in mind. not that they are wrong they tend to miagrate to what they have been told and if truth be known the one you was dealing with may not have ever kept bees so he or she is running on what they have been told. this is just my opinion.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I put some of my own wax on plastic foundation and they pull it out just fine. As stated there has always been some acceptance problems with plastic.

if this is all you have, then go with that. feed 'liberally' and check on regular occasions to remove any cross comb they build and I suspect they will do fine.

7. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I have found that plastic foundation coated with wax will work but if you can add another coating of wax to the foundation they seem to take to it faster. I don't know if its the extra wax or maybe its fresher but it seems to help. Jim

8. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I use the Pf-120 plastic frames, I do give them a very very light coat of wax. I have had no problems with the bees accepting them.
    My biggest problem is these are small cell and the bees build bridge comb for drones.

Plastic cells got a bad rap when they first came out, they were very poorly made in India with bad plastic, poor cells etc.
    Some people got took bad back then true, other people have never used them but tell how bad they are now ??

Remember take every thing you read on the inter-net with a grain or two of salt.

Murrell

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I use wax coated plastic foundation (Permadent) in wooden frames. I have not had any difficulty in getting them to use it.
    The trick seems to be if there is a flow on or not.
    I believe if you give bees a choice however, that is wax foundation or the wax coated plastic, the bees will surely work the wax first.