Starting out???

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by pepper, Apr 15, 2013.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

Hi we are just planning to start beekeeping. We have read a lot about it and now we were wondering which starter kits do you suggest?

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My buddy Perry would be the person to talk to in your country. If you know of a bee club in your area they could help save you some money. The kits i've seen have alot of things a beginner doesn't need to start off with. Jack

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Ohh, and welcome to the fourm. Jack

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Hello pepper and welcome to the site. Perry from the Tundra Division will be along to answer ALL your up north questions. As brooks said a starter kit often has more than you need to start and some things you may never use. Once we find out what type/style of beekeeping you wish to do we can point in the direction needed. Jim

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks Jack, and Bsweet, for that warm set up! :rolling:
    Hello Pepper, and Welcome to our friendly part of the beekeeping community. :hi:We talk Bees and like to have fun doing it!
    You will find tons of good information here, and don't be afraid to ask questions, it keeps us on our toes.
    Canada is the second largest country in the world (geographically speaking) and it might help a bit if you could narrow down the location on your profile to a province. If you are in the Maritimes (lucky you) you are close to a few active members on this forum. Some of us do road trips and often bump into one another.
    If you are on the West coast (again, lucky you) I know some people out there (Apisbees is one) and a good club or two you might be close to.
    If you are in Ontario or the prairies (well, you have my sympathies). :lol: Sorry Crofter, Marbees.
    As far as kits go, I agree that a lot of what is included is not always what's necessary.
    Check out a couple of threads in Beekeeping 101 or search with the word "beginner" in the top right corner of the forum.
    Again, have fun here, maybe even check out the chat at the bottom.

6. pepper

pepper New Member

Hi thanks any help would great. We were thinking just for a hobby, so we can have our own honey nothing big. So far I can't seem to find any bee clubs in our area but maybe I am looking in the wrong places. We are have a farm in southern Alberta.

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome Pepper! We all said something like that in regards to doing it just for a "hobby." Be forewarned, bee keeping is addictive...:grin:

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Pepper Bee-maid is the co-op supplier on Edmonton they have an online catalog. welcome to the forum. if you are close to the us boarder man lake will free ship to the us so if you can arange drop location on us side and can pick it up and bring into Canada could save you some $. No bees, queens, or drawn comb. customs will not allow with out the proper paperwork. There are a few guys in BC that ship nucs to beekeepers in Alberta.

9. pepper

pepper New Member

Thanks everyone:smile:

10. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Your biggest obstacle will be finding a nucleus (nuc) this time of year. Most suppliers are already sold out. Don't delay, go on line andlook up the honey producers association in your area. Start making calls and jump on the first 4 frame nuc anybody has.

11. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

here is a link to the bee maid store http://beemaidbeestore.com/browse.php?txtCatID=152 . Their beginner basics section is pretty good. Then only thing in there that you really won't need are the cowhide gloves. Dish washing gloves work just as well. I got plenty of great info from the books in the library. "Keeping bees and making honey" was a good basic read.

12. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome, Pepper, from across the pond. :hi:

This forum will give you good friendly advice and info.

13. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome Pepper, glad you found this forum, great help here with your bees needs.

kebee

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I like you screen name and welcome to THE forum...

16. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Very true. And it is an enjoyable addiction with many, many more positives than negatives. Good luck and welcome.

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

:hi:Welcome to the forum Pepper. I hope your presence adds some additional seasoning to a well-seasoned menu of beekepers. We all like newbees and you can expect us to help you with any questions you ask. It'll be your hard job to decide which answers to accept---often you'll find we don't agree with one another. :duel:
    But, most important, we disagree politely and with smiles.:lol: You won't find any stinging insults here.

18. pepper

pepper New Member

Hi well we ordered our hive equipment and now very impatiently waiting for it to be delivered. Should be fun.:thumbsup:

19. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

And another welcome. Like Blueblood said, it's an addictive 'hobby'. I started out with 2 hives 3 years ago and am up to 12 now, with no end in sight. Most of us advise to start out with 2 hives-this way, you can have some comparison.

20. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :) As you have already seen, this is a friendly place (the friendliest, IMO) and lots of great advice. Good luck in your endeavors. Keep us posted on your progress (it's the rules, ya know :rules: )