Starting to get that deer in the headlight panic thing

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by extrasharp, Mar 26, 2013.

1. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Put my foundations on my frames and ran out of clips. I did 4, 2 in each side. I'll order more. I keep hearing the person at the class saying you start with one deep hive to start but that's for the bees and the one on top of it is for their food. Brood, food.

My entrance reducer? Do I have to glue? It moves.

I'm reading again and will take the books with me again this weekend. I have until April 20th. http://www.honeybeesonline.com/lessons.html

This so makes me appreciate new people to the koi hobby when they have this same feeling.

On a happy note I called my dr. for my 2 Epi-pens and she loves fresh honey.:smile:

2. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Cindy, just jump in. It's fun.

Yes bottom box and probably the second box will be for brood. The honey storage supers on top of those. I am going to run
    mine as 2 deep bottom boxes (brood boxes).

Don not glue the entrance reducers. You will probably want to take them out at times. They will stick them in place themselves.
    Mine were flying so heavily the other day the entrances were clogged. I removed reducers for a day or 2. Then it got cold so I put them back on.

It's addicting.

3. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Thanks Yankee. I called Kelley Bees and got more clips. I was just afraid they'd get moved, I see the hole goes down.

We got snow this am, so much for spring.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

cindy, you can use a nail or screw through the entrance reducer to the bottom board, so your er doesn't move. if you use a small nail, leave enough of the head exposed to pull it out. i use screws on some of my ers that aren't quite a tight fight. sooner or later the bees do propolize these in place, as yankee said.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Cindy, when you get your bees, DO NOT put them in two boxes. Put them in the deep and wait until they have filled 7 to 9 of he frames before adding the second box. Be sure your frames are squeezed tightly together and centered in the box. Otherwise they may find room to draw wild comb.

Stick the ER's on when the bees are installed and they will stay in place. Besides, they are not that important. I don't even use them.

6. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

When I am ruining low on clips for the foundation I use bobby pins. Cheap, and works just fine.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't buy foundation. I buy 20# test weight fishing line and do an x and 3 or 4 horizontal lines, drop a wedge or a paint stir stick from the top and paint a little wax on. The bees don't care, it will all be fine.

8. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

:yes: great idea. typing with a cracked finger, shut it in a door.

9. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Entrance Reducer Positioning

To stop my ERs going too far back, I use a galvanized netting staple into the floor wall at the right depth on each side.

With a loose ER, I push a thumb tack into each end of the ER. By pushing or pulling on the tacks you can make a snug fit.

Hope this helps. :smile:

10. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

That does help, thank you!

11. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

I just got all my foundation in my frames. I am using the plasticell foundation. Do I need to cross wire & pin or will the cross wire (fishing line) be enough?

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With plastic, you need nothing more.

13. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

No cross wiring or pins? That sound great to me! Now I need to get to painting. I get my nuc next week! :grin:

14. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Ok, I stained with the eco friendly stain from Kelley's last night. The plastic sheet under the screen is ? It has a tie on it so it doesn't move?

15. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

It has the plastic tie on it so you can remove it.

16. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

17. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

The plastic sheet is to be removed and used later when you are treating and checking for pests. It is not to be left in place during the normal use of the screen bottom.
    Relax a little and enjoy them. :grin: