State Bee Inspector came today. Got a great report.

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by HAB, Sep 24, 2009.

1. HAB

HAB New Member

State Bee Inspector came today. Got a great report. Went through six of our twenty hives and found not a single SHB! Opened up a good hand full drone brood from four and not a single VM larvae! He did find a couple of cockroaches.
    Commented how it was a pleasure to see such clean Bees. Asked about treatments we were using. Couldn't believe we were having such good success using just SBB'a, full sun, and FGMO Fog. He had previously inspected the original brood stock while in the hands of former owner and knew they were not like that when we got them. Said "Whatever your doing its working great." Don't know if he thought I wasn't telling the whole truth or what but I was. :drinks:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is great to hear. Glad things are going your way.

Must be that good clean living.

G3

3. HAB

HAB New Member

"Must be that good clean living.'
    Maybe, but my neighbor using some of the same bees 3/4 miles away with 42 hives is still using solid bottoms and chemical treatments (his are in full sun) and are really suffering with SHB and VM and this is his 52nd year with Bees. Don't get me wrong. I may just be lucky. Just hope it keeps on keeping on.
    Here is a picture of a few of my hives. Double click for a larger picture

[​IMG]

4. HAB

HAB New Member

Well, if I didn't have SHB I do now.
    Did a tree cut out. Cut out and brought home a large Water Oak full of Bees, Comb, Honey, and SHB.
    Week later found 4 or 5 in each hive and many in the West SHB Traps on all the hives. Found no larva so we took off the last of the Honey Supers, got another 14 gallons. Not nearly as much as we hoped for. Will check them again in a week to see if the traps got the rest of the SHB.
    What a difference a week can make. Last week relative temps were up to 101F and today I actually had to put on pants instead of shorts this AM when it was down to 49F. Guess its time to get the Bees ready for winter. Sure hate it cause the Bees are still binging in buckets of ragweed.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

see that castor oil was not nearly as distasteful as you thought?

as to shb... keeping stuff clean up and providing as limit an opportunity for the little nasties to reproduce in LARGE numbers seems to be what is required if you need to keep them in check. cut out here always seem to be somewhat to highly infested with shb.

ps... imho most bee inspectors (also a lot of folks that do similar kinds of stuff) have their sense pretty well honed as to when someone is tellin' them the truth or not. at one time I worked with an old beekeeper who's employment was to do FBI security checks for folks in the us military... he also had the most amazing capacity to tell (almost by smell) when someone was not being perfectly truthful.

6. rast

rast New Member

Along the lines of what Tec said, when the inspector was at my place in Aug. and I was crying about poor honey production this year, I said "you know so an so, he told me he got 600# this spring." The inspector just gave me a sideways glance and said "Yeah, you know he's a preacher too".
    I can't type the voice inflections he used, but I got the message.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I got 90 lbs. from mine...

30 lbs. in the frames.
    30 lbs. in the extractor.
    30 lbs. in the jars.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

rast writes:
    "Yeah, you know he's a preacher too"

tecumseh:
    wisdom that ya' should be able to hand down for generations to come.

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I agree! Always keep the wisdom that this inspector is unprofressional, willing to denigrate others, and if he has crap on you, the next story to the next beekeeper, just may be about YOU!