Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow the IDNR State Apiary Inspector will be coming to check my hives. I emailed her last week to check this green horns bees. Will be glad what she finds out with my one slow hive. Will post results!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have been meaning to to this as well but have been hesitant. Being a general contractor by trade the word "inspector" invokes images of pure evil. :lol: Of course that's not the way it is with our state apiary inspector. I am told that he is quite pleasant to work with.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Ive talked to my areas inspector 2 times and both he was too busy to inspect my hives, he was going to call me when he had time and not heard a peep out of him since January, he said I was in the process of being inspected (on his list) so I had nothing to worry about, that I was legal now and its just a matter of time till he gets around to me, I travel up and down the west coast of florida doing removals from naples to north tampa and have seen alot of hive boxes sitting in yards with no numbers kinda makes you wonder.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after taking the day off tomorrow to get inspected I just received an email saying she can't make it. GRRR! So, she'll be over Wed. AFTER I get off work! The plus side of this is I will spend the day with the GF.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well, after taking the day off tomorrow to get inspected I just received an email saying she can't make it. GRRR! .
Having only one inspector for the entire state makes Kathleen one busy gal! I know she's been having vehicle issues due to budget cutbacks. She keeps getting crappy vehicles that don't work, and has had to take her own car to a number of inspections. Kathleen is great at explaining what's going on in a hive, and you'll learn a lot.

Wednesday is supposed to be another scorcher, so take a few extra bottles of water or gatorades with you.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having only one inspector for the entire state makes Kathleen one busy gal! I know she's been having vehicle issues due to budget cutbacks.
I'm surprised Mitch didn't sell that job off to a foreign country or eliminate it completely! :|

·
Registered
166 Posts
Brett,

After reading your post and found out the inspector is coming to your house at 7pm I thought I'd like to try and get in on that action. I gave her a call. She's coming by my apiary at 5pm.
Good idea Crazy8.

Jim

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Think of the inspector as your friend---they really are on our side. Prepare a list of your questions in advance so you don't forget those important questions you have. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had a really good time with the inspector. Glad Jim was able to get his inspected as well. Very nice lady. All hives look really good. My small hive she thinks need to be on sugar water again. Help them build up. she showed me some tricks to help them fill the frame out. We actually added another super on one. My strongest hive at my uncles that has SHB is doing super. We pulled out one frame that every cell was capped with honey. Really cool to see. Watched a bee attack a SHB and fly away with it. She got a kick out of that. She said no worries on the beetles. No mites! It was a pleasure having her here.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Glad it went well!
So what was the temperature? It was 103 south of Indy where I live - downright oppressive. I wouldn't have wanted to be getting into my hives!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it was 100. Didn't take long to get soaked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts