Stealing Eggs?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Apr 1, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

This happen two years ago and again today,This hive had two frames of bees two weeks ago and no brood and no queen, today still no brood or queen but one supersede cell ( capped) in the center and at the top of middleframe :confused: .I have been through this hive (a single deep) four times, if she was there i would have seen her ( not that many bees). Two years ago i had a nuc that was queenless for three weeks and i found a queen from a club member to put in but when i started to put the new queen in the nuc there was one supersede cell.? The only way they could start a queen cell is to steal an egg from another hive. Unless i'm missing something, and it's not seeing the queen. Has this happen to any of you. :oops: Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It hasn't happened to me, but I have read where a laying worker egg would be made into a queen cell. Of course, being a drone, it didn't make a queen.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at some point in a hive life of being in an extend queenless state they will draw out 'queen cells' on almost anything and thus the term 'hopelessly queenless'.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The queen in the nuc two years ago was soon superseded and the supersed queen never amounted to much. Iddee, i wondered about wether they would take a laying worker egg and try to make a queen? tec. i left the queen cell to see what happens,it may be empty? Another hive that i checked two weeks ago, that had been a strong hive,had the bottomboard covered with dead bees. I found a small queen and about a frame and ahalf of workers but no brood. I checked again today still no brood and she was running on the frame, i gave her the hive tool and put a frame of eggs and nurse bees. I don't think she was mated. Jack

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

a drag queen maybe?!?! :lol: :lol:

Sounds to me like a laying worker trying to make a queen cell. You know, these girls have such heart and a will to live and carry on it is unreal. They will try anything to keep on surviving.