Steering on Farmall A tactor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brooksbeefarm, Nov 29, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have over a half turn of slack in the steering wheel of my Farmall A tactor. Anyone know how to adjest the slack out. :confused: Jack

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I don't know if a tractor that old has any adjustment or if it's just worn out gears in the steering mechanism.

Try tractorpart.com, they sell shop manuals for older equipment.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks Gunsmith, I'm thinking the same thing. The steering shaft has a worm gear on it and screws into a housing and probably has alot of wear on it. I was thinking maybe someone knew if it could be shimed or could be adjusted out in the tie rods ect. without trying to run down a new (after market) steering sector and shaft. :confused: Jack

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Jack:

I'm not sure if that model has adjustment or not, that's why I suggested a manual.

I've worked on old equipment,too, and drove myself nuts trying to work on it without "the book"

Then, 9 times out of 10, I'm thumping myself on the forehead-"Why didn't I think of that?"

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Gunsmith, been there done that, i'll go to the farm supply store and look through there manuals and see if they have one for an farmall A. I have two of them,one has hydraulics and the other one doesn't, and one has a mag and the otherone has a distributor, but both have to much slack in the steering wheel. Probably have to oder one over the internet. :roll: Jack

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

When I was first taught to drive a tractor was on an old farmall m the ole farmer made it clear what ever I done don't wrap my thumbs around the steering wheel if I liked them the way they are

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I learned the same thing on a John Deere mod. A with tricycle front end.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've had the steering wheel jerked out of my hands on those tricycle (row crop tractors) type tractors. My family forbid those bolt on steering wheel knobs on any of our tractors. :thumbsup: (wrist breakers) The farmall A has the wide front end, but i think you all know that. Jack

9. rast

rast New Member

My 53 Super C is a tricycle.