Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a block party in our new neighbourhood tonight meant to welcome a family from Stellenbosch, South Africa.
They will be living here for the next 4 months before returning home. They have a couple of sons near my sons age, in fact they have joined his school while they are here.
If I am not mistaken we have a couple of members from South Africa (formerly) on the forum, Zulu maybe? They said they were in an area absolutely rich in vineyards and wine. Sound familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yep very close to my home.

I grew up in Cape Town, about 45 minutes from Stellenbosch. Fabulous town, rich in history and the center of wine and Brandy production.

Also in recent years , home to Olives too, with SA Olive oil winning big awards at the international festivals.

What brings them to your neck of the woods?

Also tell them I just finished making Biltong ...... SA jerky. I know Idee is going to want some now !!!!!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
they bring in crews of south africans to help with the cotton harvest around here. Very nice people. One even ended up marrying a local gal and stayed here. I can vouch for them on one thing they sure can drink when it comes to the alcohol

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is Canadian (Nova Scotian) and married him. She wanted her kids to experience a Nova Scotia winter so they are up here for 6 months total, 4 of which will be spent here (Lucky us, they're really nice). Apparently Stellenbosch is also a university town like Wolfville.
He was amazed at how little wine costs up here! :lol: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
974 Posts
riverrat said:
they bring in crews of south africans to help with the cotton harvest around here. Very nice people. One even ended up marrying a local gal and stayed here. I can vouch for them on one thing they sure can drink when it comes to the alcohol
Yep most of my friends would fit into that category :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts