Stellenbosch, South Africa

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Jan 9, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Was at a block party in our new neighbourhood tonight meant to welcome a family from Stellenbosch, South Africa.
    They will be living here for the next 4 months before returning home. They have a couple of sons near my sons age, in fact they have joined his school while they are here.
    If I am not mistaken we have a couple of members from South Africa (formerly) on the forum, Zulu maybe? They said they were in an area absolutely rich in vineyards and wine. Sound familiar to anyone?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

markles lives there, Zulu is from there. Don't know if there are others or not.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yep very close to my home.

I grew up in Cape Town, about 45 minutes from Stellenbosch. Fabulous town, rich in history and the center of wine and Brandy production.

Also in recent years , home to Olives too, with SA Olive oil winning big awards at the international festivals.

What brings them to your neck of the woods?

Also tell them I just finished making Biltong ...... SA jerky. I know Idee is going to want some now !!!!!

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

they bring in crews of south africans to help with the cotton harvest around here. Very nice people. One even ended up marrying a local gal and stayed here. I can vouch for them on one thing they sure can drink when it comes to the alcohol

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

She is Canadian (Nova Scotian) and married him. She wanted her kids to experience a Nova Scotia winter so they are up here for 6 months total, 4 of which will be spent here (Lucky us, they're really nice). Apparently Stellenbosch is also a university town like Wolfville.
    He was amazed at how little wine costs up here! :lol: :mrgreen:

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yep most of my friends would fit into that category :D