Sterilizing plastic squeeze jars.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by w_baker76, Jun 23, 2013.

1. w_baker76

w_baker76 New Member

What is the best way to sterilize plastic squeeze jars? Just bought them from manlake. This is the first time using plastic.

2. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

Baby bottle sterilizer?

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

The jars don't need to be sterilized for honey, just clean. Rinse them in warm water and let them dry.

Walt

4. w_baker76

w_baker76 New Member

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

New jars do not need to be sterilized as Walt said. They are actually cleaner before you do anything to them. It is as pure as it gets by the manufacturing process.
    They must be absolutely dry or your honey wil ferment. So if you touch them to dry physically or leave out to air dry they are exposed to more airborne yeasts and bacteria.
    Heat of any kind will deform the thermoplastic.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Be careful trying to sterilize plastic honey bottles. The clear ones have a very low melting point. I have had honey customers put them in hot water to reliquify honey and have the bottle distort. Honey is a natural anti-bacterial and was used medically widely before penicilin. With that said there is no need to sterilize a new bottle.

7. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Does this go for Mason glass, too? I'm fearful of small shards of glass if I don't rinse them first. I don't know much about the manufacturing & inspection process.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With glass jars, I just run them through the dish washer. With plastic, I rinse them in clorox water and let air dry upside down.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

as others said about new plastic jars, they don't need to be washed or sterilized. i don't re-use them either, if someone returns them to me. my mason jars, i hand wash, rinse in very hot water, and use a clean large t towel, to handle and dry the jar with. (large white kind, forget what these are, but they are lint free). (i don't like water spots on my jars from air drying.)