Stevia

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by srvfantexasflood, Jan 28, 2010.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Has anyone had any experience growing Stevia? If so, have you actually used it to cook with? I'd be interested in ways to use Stevia to cook with and bake with.

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

that's one of those topics I would love to learn more about soon. I do use dried stevia leaf in some of my tea blends but I haven't gotten around to trying it out in cooking. I have some seeds that I need to get going for this year so maybe I'll get to it soon.

Do you know if stevia has any real nutritional value at all?

3. srvfantexasflood

I understand stevia is full of phytonutrients, but a person would only consume a small amount at a time. Therefore, the nutrients would probably have very little benefit.
    I'm so lazy, I learned a long time ago to drink everything straight. Nothing in my coffee, iced tea, and hot tea. It's too much work adding this and that to get it just right. I gave up soda. I was addicted to that. I'm mostly interested in cooking and baking with stevia.

Mama Beek- have you germinated stevia before? I tried last year with no success. I understand it can be difficult to get to germinate.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I have used stevia in many ways including simply chewing on the leaves, wonderful licerous after taste. I will be growing a small stand of stavia shortly, and after that they will self seed if you allow them to do so. I find the leaves to be very nice to cook with dry or fresh whether used in tea, or even oatmeal. P.S. try home depot for seedlings if they don't have them yet ask them to get them in.
    Barry

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

by the way Stevia can be used directly as a sugar substitute execpt at about halh the rate ex: 1 cup of sugar 1/2 cup of stevia or less, almost like using honey.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I haven't germinated the seeds but had heard that they are hard to germinate. A friend of mine back home in Missouri gets them to grow by starting them in the styrofoam trays like the tobacco seeds get started in. He made a little pool for them to float in and general has a few thousand seeds starting at any given time. That's how me and Baby Beek plan to start some things that folks have told us are hard to start....I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks for the stevia cooking info Barry! I was wondering what the ratio was.

7. srvfantexasflood

Tropical Stevia isn't going to self seed here. We have to handle it like an annual. Barry- thanks for letting us know the ratio.