still at the trapout

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Well, checked the trapout today and they still pouring outa the cone, looked in the hive finally and the new queen is fine so they didn't kill her, hives a 9 inch brood box and 5 frames are full of bees now with a lot of honey and pollen, the 1st brood box I pulled off and put a queen in is full now with all 9 frames being worked and 6 of them with a lot of brood, when this 9 is full I'm gonna move it to my backyard, dang there's still a lot of bees in the wall,, the cones full even now.

Attached Files:

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

found this tree at the edge of the property where the cut-outs happening, started looking for the hive the swarms are coming from, had a feeling it was not to far with the cottage having hives 2 different times within a year, house next door said its been there a while so might be the parent hive, its a old pine about 75 foot, the hives about 40 feet up, any1 got a skyhook and wanna do a trap-out lol little outta my comfort zone

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A good place to set swarm traps every spring.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well heres the tree, good idea Iddee, wonder if south florida bees swarm anymore often then up north

Attached Files:

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well after watching the trap-out today for a while I am thinking its done, only 4 or 5 bees in the cone at a time, my broodbox is like a 12 lane highway, foragers flying in and out so fast I cant count them good beard on it today, gonna add another 9 inch on it and start the robbing of the wall in a day or so I think pics not very good had the sun right in my face

Attached Files:

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When you remove the cone, watch the bees going into the structure. If even one goes in with pollen, it is not done. Put the cone back.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

guess its not done yet , went back just before dark and a bunch were still stuck to the cone trying to get back in, thought maybe the queen had ran off but guess not

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

What the heck? its been 7 weeks, filled 1 nine inch brood, new queen, lotsa brood in it now. filled another nine inch and a six on it, new queen in it, now has capped brood, thought I was about to move it and have the rob out now i show up and it looks like a hole new batch of bees are born in the wall, cones full and still coming out.

I checked everywhere and theres no other opening, only thing I can think of is there stores must have been massive from the spring flow

Attached Files:

9. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Amazing! Very cool picture, too. :coolphotos: