Still feeding the bees?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by afterburn001, Jul 22, 2011.

1. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

I am beginning to feel like our bees are like lazy,spoiled teens. :lol:

We started our first two hives late this year, late may. We started from scratch (new frames with plastic foundation) so the bees had do a lot of comb building. Just two weeks ago we put on the second deep and now they are sucking down 2 jars of syrup each every day. I suspect that is because they are busy building comb in the second deep. It has also been an unusually cold summer (coldest summer on record) this year.

Is it normal under these conditions to still be feeding the girls?

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I can't tell where you are located, but I am doing the same. I purchased a package, this spring, which swarmed later. I introduced a new queen and they have been trying to fill the top brood box with comb. I have been feeding them for 3-4 weeks now. I hope to get them ready for winter. I have always heard that they wouldn't take the sugar syrup if they didn't need it. So as long as they are taking it, they really need it. Think of it as preparing the hive to overwinter.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

I too started 2 nucs in May, and have been feeding , but only feed twice a week , about a qt each time.

They finish it within a day

I am seeing it as getting them strong enough for winter.