still more questions

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Brooklyn, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Brooklyn

Brooklyn New Member

What do you mean by keeping everything the same size? Can you purchase medium hive bodies just like the medium supers?

What is the difference between commercial grade , Select, and standard wood?

Is it better to by complete kits or get everything separate.

Are wax frames better the plastic.

I have read several books and just like the internet they all say something a little different

Everyone thanks for your help so far.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

What do you mean by keeping everything the same size? Can you purchase medium hive bodies just like the medium supers?....

""They are all supers. Deeps are also called hive bodies or mediums. Mediums are also called western, or Illinois. Shallows are also called comb honey supers. The bees don't know this, so you can use any of them any where"".

What is the difference between commercial grade , Select, and standard wood?

"Commercial, or budget has more knots and misfits. Standard is better. Select is best. Also more expensive. The bees don't care which you use".

Is it better to by complete kits or get everything separate.

"Separate".

Are wax frames better the plastic.

"Wax".

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I like wooden frames myself.... :thumbsup: And if you did force me to choose between wax or plastic frames, I'd go with plastic.... :lol:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

wood frames and wax foundation myself.

I guess I would buy seperate unless a supply house would make a deal on just what you are wanting. Give them a call with a list of your wants, never can tell, and this is the slow time for them anyway.

G3

5. Charles

Charles New Member

Separate pieces, the kits usually have about 75% of the things you need and filler anyway.

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I use plastic foundations simply because I didn't want to screw up wax in my first year. The girls seem to be OK with them, although I don't have anything to compare since I've only used plastic. I spray them with a syrup solution when I put them in the supers.

Even with plastic, I nearly spun one out of the frame when I was extracting this afternoon! :oops:

Walt