Still not evacuated, but it's getting closer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heinleinfan, Jun 28, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Howdy all,

Been having a seriously busy June and not online much and now, I can't stay off the computer following news of the fire at Waldo Canyon and checking the city sites for evacuation updates.

It's getting close to 20,000 acres now. 32,000 people have been evacuated from Colorado Springs outlying neighborhoods. Still no official word on homes lost, I've heard everything from 100 to over 300. There are now over 1,000 firefighters from around the country fighting this fire to keep it from moving further into the city, to protect the Air Force Academy and the homes it is near, and Rampart Resevoir, which supplies most of CoSprings' water.

The border for the latest pre-evacuation notices (where they tell you to pack your stuff, but don't leave yet) cuts off 1 street over from my house right now.
    I live in Old Colorado City, about 3 miles south and a bit east of the communities where the fire entered city limits. My husband's boss and family friend just bought a new house a few months ago, and he's been evacuated, but the damage was still about a mile from his home. (His old home was not sold, it actually still has some furniture stored there, so his family is safe and much more sound than many others right now.)

The fire more than doubled in size in a 24 hour period, and headed into the city last night, and it was terrifying.

It seems the wind shifted back headed west and north, so the clouds of smoke have cleared. For three days everything has smelled of smoke and there's been ash falling. I was able to see the mountains from my house again this evening, first time in two days. My husband and I went out for a birthday dinner for him (not the best 40th birthday ever) and we could still see spots of fire, but things seemed to have moved down into the ridges west for tonight. Last night you could see the entire area lit up, just glowing red in all that smoke, and lighting up the whole sky. You could see giant flare ups as houses went up in flames.

Weather is calling for rain on Friday but it might cause more damage and force my area to be evacuated; because of the burnout area being upslope there's severe danger of flash flooding which could also contain smoldering debris.

Because we totally need more than one natural disaster at a time to deal with.

My husband and I have things packed and all the pet carriers lined up in the hall and have a list of places to look for affordable space, should we get an evac notice. No chance of moving the ladies.

It's a scary time here in the Springs. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers, and especially send out some prayers for all the firefighters.

It is unbelievable what they are doing out here, and they're doing it all while living in tent cities and parking lots on cots. Absolutely amazing dedication to what they do.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my hope is that you and family and pets and the firefighters will remain safe. these kind of disasters destroy but also often bring folks closer together.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You and yours are in our thoughts, be safe!

Perry

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

good thought ans prayer sent your way, be safe and hope everything works out for the best!

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

May God bless you with a slow drizzle: enough to extinguish the flames but not enough to cause flooding.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Just saw a segment on the news about it...looks like maybe 3-4 different fires across the state? Just about all of Indiana is under burn ban now. The only things that is green in my lawn is the weeds. I know we all love our bees but the safety of family would would be paramount. However, have you thought about moving the hives if you had time and the place to do so?

7. kebee

kebee Active Member

Holding you and friends in prayer and hope all goes well, and GOD sends a rain that help put the fire out.

kebee

8. Charles

Charles New Member

You said a mouth full there! I think there were up to 12 separate fires burning throughout our state at one point.

You'll be in our thoughts and prayers, stay safe and indoors. That smoke can really get to you. If you have large animals you can take them to the Douglas County Fairgrounds if you have evacuation orders.

Good luck and stay safe!

9. vermillion

vermillion New Member

Sending prayers your way.
    Stay safe and know we are thinking of you.

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

Thinking of you .... hope there is good news soon.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"It is unbelievable what they are doing out here, and they're doing it all while living in tent cities and parking lots on cots. Absolutely amazing dedication to what they do"

yes it is heinlanfan, more so than most realize or will ever know or as you, witness for themselves. stay safe, thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family, and keep us posted.

12. Marbees

Marbees Member

Looks like the rain is not going to be the heavy one, hope there is no flash flooding.
    Stay safe.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sending my best thoughts to you. Hope you stay safe.