sting count

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by d.magnitude, Aug 31, 2011.

1. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Just curious- Do any of you guys keep a tab of how many stings you receive in a season? If so, I'd be curious to hear what your numbers are. I think I'm going to start keeping a tally in the back of my inspection book.

-Dan

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

D:
    There was a similar thread started several days ago., and there were a number or responses to it.

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

Can you post a link to the thread. I can't find it and I'm interested if I'm more paranoid that normal :) I've been stung around 20 times since first getting my bees in April. I'm really trying to limit the stings at this point. They don't seem to be getting less severe, just the opposite. I'd like to read the responses.
    Jim

4. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I couldn't find a thread talking about numbers of stings. If there is one, sorry, what's the title?

Anyway, I haven't been keeping track yet, but I'd say I've had about 10 stings working 9 hives since May.

-Dan

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Sorry it's taking so long, where I'm parked at has a very weak cell-phone signal. Go to general discussions, and the thread "How many stings this year"

6. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Sorry, I'll hop over there.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

8. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

I have had a few hundred from a single hive twice. My Dad threw a brood frame on my leg decades ago. I wear shorts in the apiary and I told him to finish his inspections while I pick stingers out. The second time I was adding a super at night in a thunderstorm, in running shorts and they were a hot hive already. Daytime not raining I rarely get a dozen a day with 40 hives.

9. Flyman

Flyman New Member

A DOZEN a day....are you kidding? You must have a really good tolerance. I would look like the Michelin Man if I recieved that many. I don't get a dozen a year.