Stings

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Jun 1, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Well, yesterday I got zapped again. Second time in 2 weeks. Right behind the ear. Removed the stinger pretty quick but this morning it is red, swollen, somewhat sore and itches!! What the internet is saying I'm in the 10% category of people that have a mild reaction. As a new beekeep I'm concerned about major issues. How many people on here have the same problem? What other precautions do you take? Home remedies for post stings?

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Your reaction to bee sting sounds absolutely normal, were you talking about numbing around your lips, itching in your eyes, or any difficulty in breathing ot erratic heart beat, then I would be more concerned. The more you get stung, and you will, no if is when, your body will adjust and you will become alot more tolerant to the sting---while I am not a sting collector, I have a few each year, the worst was a sting in the scalp---by far the most painful sting I ever got, nothing to do with allergy just location.
    Barry

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    What other precautions do you take?

Barry writes...
    The more you get stung, and you will, no if is when, your body will adjust and you will become alot more tolerant to the sting

tecumseh:
    my though exactly + you will get a much larger and longer term benefit in the form of arthritis relief.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Crazy, I get the same thing you described and it takes about three days for me to see the redness to go away. My wife worked for a derm doctor for years and gives me the technical description, "site reaction." My sting locations will warm up too. The itching is the most annoying part, ha! The first day is usually pretty smart to the touch also.

Precautions for me are to suit/veil/glove up before I capture swarms and hive inspections where I am really going through them. Or, messing with my hive #2...they are some mean s.o.b's (figuratively speaking of course :grin:), ha! Ironically, they are the ones to gift me with my first sting of the year when I captured them with no protections. I have been getting more brave lately and opening the hives up and doing general things for them, new syrup bags, lifting an occasional frame or two to check on things with no smoke.

My post care, besides scratching the venom sack against the grain from my skin, is to take a benadryl and zantac as soon as possible.

5. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I have about the same reaction. I had total sausage thumb after my inspections this weekend, having gotten stung on the thumb.

I usually use an icepack in the evening if a sting is really bothering me, it helps the itching and the swelling, for me at least. I used to keep a ziplock of baking soda in my bee box and I always have water, so I'd make up a paste with it and it really helped the itching, but I hardly bother with that anymore.

I got stung 17 times once. We were moving our hive post bear attack and the screen came off while we had lifted up. They came pouring out of there and my veil wasn't secure, it had come loose while moving around and bending over and trying to get the screen on while the ladies buzzed around trying to stop me. (Which is probably why it wasn't secure enough to stay on, heh.) They got up into my veil and also went after my ankles. How they knew the veil was loose and that I only had 1 pair of socks on, but had 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of gloves and 3 shirts...I'll never know. Crafty little suckers.

I took a couple benadryl and later that night took a bath with lots of baking soda mixed in the water, nearly a whole box, and that helped. I was sore and itchy and couldn't brush my hair for a couple of days because it hurt, heh, but I had no other problems.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Helped a senior/friend keep pick up 9 hives last night out of apple orchards. 3 spots to pick them up at. I had my boots (wasn't wearing them, sneakers instead :roll:) and took one to the ankle.
    Next stop I had my beek friend come up to me while I was carrying a hive and zip up my veil (I had forgotten :oops:).
    I find that when I get stung I usually have it coming.
    I do nothing to alleviate the pain, just tough it out. Within minutes it is meerly an annoyance and shortly after almost forgotten.

By the way, my son actually asked and came out with us last night! :yahoo: He was a little freaked out when some bees followed us into the truck but he hung in there. Don't know what's come over him..................................but I like it! :mrgreen:

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

A word of caution, if your looking to be sting proof---look again, the very best you will do is to provide yourself an added amount of time to vacate the area if the girls get riled up badly. Bee siuts are more for you then the bees, it provides you a bit more time to get control of the situation or get away from the situation for if your really getting worked over, the bees will get through the suit, lol even had one sting through the leather glove--took awhile, because I didn't notice the stinger working into the leather, finally felt the prick on the back of my hand. The bee suit gives you confidence to work the bees in a controlled and calm fashion because you think your bee proof ( hmmm wonder how many of us can remember one of the girls inside the veil and thinking--how in the hell did she do that, while trying to get her out.) A truely bee proof suit I couldn't afford, nor could I wear it because of the heat factor Suits are made to handle Africanized honey bees look the same, but they are not.
    Barry

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

After having the German Black bees years ago, they taught me to never work bees without protection or smoke. I have at times opened my most gentle hives only to have them come boiling out attacting my veil and upper body, and like Barry said,they will find a way to get your attention:grin:. I close them up and come back another day, they are like people,they have good days and bad days. Bees are also good techers, they have made me smarter over the years.:lol: Jack

9. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Minor swelling and pain is normal. I got stung a total of five times last year and I had more moderate reactions until sting number 5 when I had an anaphylactic reaction. Sometimes it does get worse but I would not worry about the reaction you describe yet. Here is my observation from my bad sting and some signs that there is a problem... I got stun in the eyebrow last August (third face sting) so I went inside, took out the stinger, took some Benadryl and got out the ice pack. Within fifteen minutes I started itching, not on my eye, my butt was itching. Stop laughing:lol:. I lifted my shirt and noticed I was breaking out in hives. At this point I figures I would drive down to urgent care just in case. By the time I got there my feet were itching, my hives were worse and my heart was pounding. They brought me right in, hooked me up to monitors (heart rate 148, blood pressure low) and gave me and epi, steroids, an more Benadryl.

So from my experience I would say;
    Look for reactions in places other than where you got stung
    Shortness of breath
    hives
    dizzyness

If you have the above reactions, don't be a dummy like me. Call 911 ( at least in the USA)

I now keep an epi pen with me and always completely suit up.

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

Hhhhhmmmmmmm a topic dear to my heart.

Every sting is different, yes truely. The time to get the stinger out and how you take it out also affects the reaction. The position of the sting makes a difference too. I try to keep a hotel Card in my pocket to scrape them out

Not all people will become immune after time, some can develop a serious reaction .... Could also just be a bad bee sting, but call 911 if any breathing or serious reaction beyond a swelling and itch in local site.

Worst day was working with Iddee when working a swarm and after a full hour with no issue they suddenly had enough and I took 8-10 stings in about 3 minutes. Not one site reacted. We did suit up after that.

But have had a single sting on back of hand and within an hour could not use the hand it was so swollen, and painful too. Had to use painkiller tha night ( only time so far)

Only time I have been stung on legs was working bees in the dark, I always wear short pants and mostly sandals, even when I suit up occasionally.

Last weekend I did a shake out of a complete hive, to solve laying workers, they were a pretty mean lot too, I did suit up and stayed in shorts, no issue, had hundreds hit my veil and suit, but no stings
    i might add my suit is an ultra breeze and it does protect as long as you zip up the veil correctly :lol:

As for remedies, I use Benadryl liquid and gel tabs, Zantac is on hand never used it yet, have Benadryl cream, and Bakers venom neutraliser, which does work. Have used it on stings to the face 3 times and within a day no noticable swelling or evidence of a sting.
    I do keep an Epi pen in my bee box too, might not be me who needs it.
    Stings to back of hands and face Around the eyes swell like crazy within an hour
    stings to belly just itch
    stings to legs itch and are painful for short time
    stings to palm no issue
    stings to inside arms itch
    stings on a finger surface (finger print side) swell unbelievably , skin gets tight, and are painful for Few hours , but go away quickly too.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i will chime in with others, BENADRYL. carry it with you, the sooner you take it after being stung, the sooner it goes to work and reduces the reaction. i have learned to grin and bear it, but on occasion do take the benadryl. it does work. also, be aware of the symptoms mark was describing.

12. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Home Remedy? Try this: If your yard is, uh, well, "imperfect" like mine, you should be able to find some plaintain weeds, either broadleaf or English. After removing stinger, pick a leaf or two, chew it up into a green gooey mess, and put the glop onto the sting area. It is supposed to "draw out the venom." It really does seem to help with the pain, but not much effect on the next-day itching (that I endure for about 5 days!)

13. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Some stings are like skeeter bites, some with alittle swelling and some with alot of swelling just depends on where/how many and how soon I get the stinger out, all seem to itch.

14. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I've been stung many times. This spring I took one to the head I wound up in the ER. I had hives head to toe and I itched. All they do is give you an IV of Benedryl, Steroids, and some drug I hear advertised every night for heartburn. The ER doc told me my next sting will be much worse. My wife gave me a prednezone when she saw the rash appear then we went to the ER when it progressed. I feel because my Spring time allergies were in full bloom and getting stung a few days prior my immune system got overloaded. I got stung again last Saturday and was fine although my wife made me take another pred. Normally I get a bump at the sting site and it reacts like a mosquito bite. I've had Epi-pens available since we started keeping bees, 1 for each member of the family.

It was the most expensive nap I ever took.

15. Yucca Patrol

Yucca Patrol New Member

Just had to look up why people were using zantac for beestings since I thought it was just for heartburn. Turns out it works great along with benadryl. Thanks for sharing this tip.

http://www.alamoasthma.com/beesting.shtml

16. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

^^^That's it! That or Tagamet (sp)^^^

17. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Yeah, we ordered that weeks ago from their site, never heard a thing from them.
    My craziest sting was on the tip of my nose.....I was leaking snot and tears for a while.....
    When I lived in Southern Virginia (Halifax/South Boston) there was a family that had adopted an Eskimo baby. Why, I have no clue, but they did and when he wasa teenager he was taking a nap in the grass, and something was crawling on his neck and when he slapped at it, it stung him. It was a Japanese hornet, they said. Stung him right in the throat. They rushed him to the hospital because he was in convulsions, and they said he said he was blind within like 5 minutes. He ended up recovering and all, but they told him that getting stung again shouldn't be on his list of stuff to do again in life.....or at least not in the top ten.

I guess those Eskimos never built up any genetic tolerance for bee stings. Like they say, a place for everything and everything in it's place.

18. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

If it was one of those Japanese Giant Hornets, while back I posted a article about them, their venom is particularly toxic and due to their size, is delivered in quite a dose--as I said before glad thats one import we didn't get lol.
    Barry

19. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I have to agree with several others. Depending on the sting location, amount of venom, and how many you receive in a single occasion make a big difference in your reaction to the sting.
    I have glaucoma and can't use Benadryl. My only way to counter a sting is quickly removing the stinger, elevation and ice packs. I really appreciate Hobie's suggestion of chewing Plaintain leaves to make a poultice. I hope I remember that trick next time.

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you can't take benedryl, you may want to try Chlor-Trimeton. Although, it is not recommended either, if you have glaucoma. For some people, it works much better than benedryl.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/chlor-trimeton.html