Stinky Hives!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Can't say you'all didn't warn me. I've been reading about goldenrod and how it really smells. To me it reminds me of the yeast packets I was adding to my crushed grapes while making wine last week. I can just get within 8 feet of the hive and smell it. Here's hoping it tastes better incase they fill a super with the stuff. They are also bringing in a tremendous amount of white pollen. :thumbsup:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That stink is in the processing. It goes away once the honey is cured.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

been waiting for this post to appear for the last couple weeks :rolling:

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Yep was wondering when it would show up.

5. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Just wanted to post a heartfelt thank you! If I hadn't read on this forum about the smell of goldenrod honey, I would have been really worried last evening. it's been a long hot summer and frankly, I wasn't sure I would see a fall flow or, being a new beek, if I would recognize it. It was getting dark and I decided to wander out to to my hives towards the back of my yard to listen to the bees humming their goodnites. Twenty feet from the hives it hit my nose- whoopee! I smell stinky socks- there is a fall flow! The rain we finally got this weekend wasn't a lot but it might have made the difference.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I actually had a mortician out helping me move hives one night afterdark. When we came up on a hive that had been bringing in golden rod. The smell actually made him ill to the stomach. You would think a mortician could handle about anything. But it got him. Between that and the stings he got that night he wont help no more